Farm to School Full Tray Grant
Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA)
Predicted deadline: Nov 2, 2024 2:00pm PDT
Grant amount: US $2,500 - US $150,000
Fields of work: Farms & Farming Food Delivery & Distribution Services
Applicant type: Elementary / Secondary School, School District
Funding uses: Project / Program
Location of project: Minnesota
Location of residency: Minnesota
NOTE: In addition to applying for the Farm to School Full Tray Grant, you may also apply for the AGRI Equipment Grant.
The Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA) has served our state for more than 125 years. The work we do touches every Minnesota citizen every day.
Our mission is to enhance all Minnesotans’ quality of life by equitably ensuring the integrity of our food supply, the health of our environment, and the strength and resilience of our agricultural economy.
Our three general areas of responsibility include:
- Protecting our food supply;
- Protecting our natural resources; and,
- Cultivating our agricultural economy.
Farm to School Full Tray Grant
The Farm to School Full Tray Grant is intended for school districts that have some Farm to School experience and want to grow their Farm to School programming and expand local procurement from Minnesota producers.
Schools just starting a Farm to School program should consider applying for the Farm to School Mini Bite Grant.
Through our Local Food for Schools Cooperative Agreement with the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and with the support of the Cargill Foundation, we anticipate awarding nearly $3.5 million to reimburse school districts for purchasing Minnesota grown and raised foods used in school meal programs.
Projects must enhance and expand existing procurement and consumption of Minnesota grown and raised foods. This may include but is not limited to:
- Trialing new Minnesota grown products on the menu through taste tests
- Diversifying the products sourced from a Minnesota farm
- Increasing the number of times a Minnesota item or meal repeats on the menu
- Adding Minnesota Thursday as monthly feature to the menu
- Expanding the number of featured items or meals during Farm to School Month
- Introducing local sourcing into the School Breakfast Program (SBP)
The amount of funding each school district is eligible for is based on the number of reimbursable lunches and breakfasts served in October 2021, using this formula: meals served x 20 cents x 10 months.
Example: (7,500 reimbursable lunches + 5,000 breakfasts) x $0.20 x 10 months = $25,000
The maximum award that a school district may apply for is $100,000; the minimum is $2,500. A cash match is not required.
Second Helping Food Funds
If we have funds available after initial grant awards are made, we will award Second Helping Food Funding to selected Full Tray recipients. This funding is in addition to the original formula-based request and is capped at $50,000 per school district.
- To be considered for these additional funds, complete the Second Helping section at the end of the Full Tray online application.
- Receiving a Full Tray Grant does not guarantee you will receive Second Helping funds.
We've imported the main document for this grant to give you an overview. You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's
- AGRI Agriculture Value-Added Feasibility Study Grant (VAFSG)
- AGRI Beginning Farmer FBM Scholarships
- AGRI Crop Research Grant Program
- Agricultural Chemical Response and Reimbursement Account Grant
- Agricultural Research and Education Council Grant
- AGRI Good Agricultural Practices/Good Handling Practices (GAP/GHP) Certification Cost Share
- AGRI Livestock Investment Grant
- AGRI Meat, Poultry, Egg, and Milk Processing Grant
- AGRI Minnesota Value Added Grant Program
- AGRI Sustainable Agriculture Demonstration Grant Program
- AGRI Urban Agriculture Grant Program
- Emerging Farmer Technical Assistance Grant
- Farm to School First Bite Mini Grant
- Good Food Access Program (GFAP) Equipment and Physical Improvement Grant
- Good Food Access Program Technical Assistance Grant
- Local Food Purchase Assistance Program Grant
- Meat Education and Training Grant
- MN Specialty Crop Block Grant Program
- Noxious Weed and Invasive Plant Grants
- Rollover Protective Structures (ROPS) Rebate
Don’t miss out on other good fit funders!
See even more similar funders by creating a free 14-day account. Get personalized grant recommendations, tracking and more.
“Through Instrumentl, I was able to accomplish in 6 hours...SIX HOURS...what would have taken days or weeks with [another] search engine.”