FCC Community Action Fund - England

FCC Communities Foundation

Suggest an update

Grant amount: £2,000 - £100,000

Next anticipated deadline: Jun 3, 2020 9:00am PDT

Later anticipated deadlines: Sep 2, 2020 9:00am PDT, Dec 11, 2020 9:00am PST, Mar 4, 2021 9:00am PST

Applicant type: Government Entity Nonprofit

Funding uses: Education / Outreach, General Operating Expense, Project / Program

Location of project: United Kingdom

Location of residency: United Kingdom

View website    Save



FCC Communities Foundation awards grants to community projects from funds donated by FCC Environment through the Landfill Communities Fund and Scottish Landfill Communities Fund.

Previously known as WREN, FCC Communities Foundation was established in 1997 and has provided over £250m to more than 7,500 projects across the UK.

FCC Community Action Fund - England

The FCC Community Action Fund provides grants of between £2,000 and £100,000 to not-for-profit organisations for amenity projects eligible under Object D of the Landfill Communities Fund (LCF). Funding from FCC Communities Foundation is very oversubscribed so we now limit the type of facility we will consider focussing our funding in line with our objectives.


Competition for funding is considerable. We prioritise funding to projects which help deliver community needs and which evidence:

  • Clear and genuine need
  • Relevant and appropriate consultation 
  • The ability to keep the site in good order and well maintained when the project is complete 
  • Reasonable costs which offer good value 
  • The ability to deliver the project on time and on budget 
  • The project’s outcomes will, within the confines of the SLCF, benefit the natural, social or built environment and make a positive impact on local communities.

You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.


  • We can only accept applications from the following types or organisations:
    • A Registered Charity which operates a community facility
    • A Church or Parochial Church Council
    • A Parish or Town Council or a Management Committee or User Association acting on behalf of a Parish or Town Council
    • A Local Authority
    • A CASC Registered Sports Club
  • We will accept applications for the provision, maintenance or improvement of the following types of public amenity:
    • Village Halls and Community Centres
    • Public Play Areas
    • Publicly available Multi use games areas, skate parks and BMX tracks
    • Sport and recreation grounds including pavilions and clubhouses with full public access
    • Churches – community spaces only
    • Nature Reserves
    • Public gardens, parks, country parks and woodlands with at least dawn to dusk access
    • Museums
  • The project site must be open and accessible for the general public.
    • It should be somewhere where the general public can go, join or use without any limit or restrictions of use (or with reasonable access costs) being in place.
      • If your facility is not available every day for the public to use please contact us for advice before applying.
  • Work must be targeted on a specific amenity at a single location. 
  • Please note the project site must be owned, leased or under appropriate management agreement by either the Applicant organisation or secondary Applicant organisation. 


  • We are unable to accept applications for funding towards the fabric or structure of any new build and/or extension projects. This list includes but is not limited to: 
    • foundations, 
    • drainage, 
    • bricks and mortar, 
    • roofing, 
    • the provision of any mains supplies to the building 
  • We are unable to fund:
    • Projects which have already started,
    • Purchase of land,
    • Revenue or salary costs of staff including training and travel costs,
    • Purchase or lease of vehicles,
    • Projects located in buildings of charities, citizen advice bureaus, statutory service providers and any other building where the primary purpose is other than the provision of a public amenity,
    • Projects in hospital grounds, hospices, day care centres, residential homes or sheltered accommodation,
    • Projects located within schools or on school grounds,
    • Projects located on allotments,
    • Any work relating to car parks,
    • Projects located at leisure centres, swimming pools or sports facilities that are owned and managed by a Local Authority,
    • Scout Halls and other uniformed group HQs where there is no evidence of wider community use,
    • Any works to public highways, roads (either on or off project site, adopted or un-adopted) pavements beside highways, roundabouts. This does not include recreational footpaths, bridle paths or cycle ways,
    • Litter bins, dog bins and lampposts,
    • Projects involving Membership-only organisations where the general public (i.e. non-members) are unable to use the facilities,
    • Village or town centre enhancements such as walkways, street works or signage,
    • Projects to provide or enhance overnight accommodation or residential areas of any amenity.
    • War Memorials that do not have full public access or are not located within a public park.
    • Solar panels or any other renewable technology which generates income
    • Construction of new buildings or extensions to existing buildings. (see more Guidelines here)