Firedoll Foundation: Community Development and Immigration & Human Rights Grants
The Firedoll Foundation
Grant amount: US $5,000 - US $25,000
Anticipated deadline: Mar 31, 2019 (Letter of inquiry)
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, Research, General Operating Expense, Applied Project / Program, Capital Project
Location of project: Counties in California: Alameda County, Contra Costa County
Location of residency: United StatesView website Save Need help writing this grant?
The Firedoll Foundation is a private family foundation founded by two unrepentant liberals from the 60's who still believe in the motto, "If you are not part of the solution, you're part of the problem."
Community Development and Entrepreneurship
We believe that government has largely abdicated its responsibility in the area of community development. Although non-profit organizations should not be in the position of having to fill the gap, they are. Funders must step forward and provide them with support.
We concentrate our grant making on the Alameda and Contra Costa Counties of the San Francisco Bay Area, with a focus on the development of self-sufficiency through entrepreneurship and community services.
Immigrant Issues and Human Rights
Immigration is a continuing source of vitality and rejuvenation of American society. We reject the anti-immigrant hysteria that swept the United States in the 1990's, bringing with it the detention of thousands of immigrants by the Immigration and Naturalization Service.
We support projects that provide alternatives to detention and advocate on behalf of detained immigrants and asylum seekers. We are especially inclined to support organizations providing legal aid to immigrants in detention, facing deportation, and/or seeking asylum. We make grants to human rights projects on behalf of vulnerable populations whose basic rights are being sacrificed by repressive governmental or religious policies or for the sake of global economic interests.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- What we fund:
- 501(c)(3) organizations
- Non-private foundations under Section 509(a)(1), (2) or (3)
- Fiscally-sponsored organizations are welcome to apply
- Projects in our Alameda and Contra Costa County only; A few Human Rights grants are made to National Organizations for civil rights work.
- Capital campaigns (rarely)
- General support (existing grantees)
- Research directly supportive of currently funded projects (see Current Grantees)
- Projects with clear, discrete deliverables at the end of the grant year are the strongest contenders
- What we do not fund:
- Organizations with budgets less than $150,000 dollars
- General support for first time applicants
- Most Research
- Wild animal rescue and rehab
- Climate Change
- Pet rescue and rehab
- Community leadership development
- Youth development (other than aid for emancipated foster youth)
- In San Francisco, Marin, Sonoma, or San Mateo County
- Films, videos, documentaries, books, websites, other media
- San Francisco Bay restoration and conservation projects
- Start-up or seed funding for organizations or projects new to Firedoll Foundation
- Large-scope, long-term initiatives (we prefer discrete projects with concrete end-of-year deliverables)
- Wordy, jargon-laced, over-packed proposals
About this funder:
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Firedoll Foundation: Community Development and Immigration & Human Rights Grants by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.