FLEX Grants Program
Hawai'i Community FoundationSuggest an update
Anticipated deadline: May 29, 2021 7:00pm PDT
Grant amount: Up to US $50,000
Fields of work: All fields of work
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: General Operating Expense
Location of project: Hawaii
Location of residency: HawaiiView website Save
About this funder:
The FLEX Grants Program provides unrestricted support for high-performing nonprofits achieving results in the community.
National surveys of nonprofits rate unrestricted or flexible support as one of the most important types of funding needed to support nonprofit work and improve results. Unrestricted support allows an organization to prioritize its own needs and respond to those unforeseen needs or opportunities to best serve its community. Funds may be used for a variety of purposes including administrative costs, capacity building, program expenses, evaluations or salaries.
The Hawai‘i Community Foundation (HCF) understands that unrestricted funding is important for nonprofits to thrive, and that unrestricted funds given to high-performing nonprofits lead to better and/or more results. We believe that the best investment of scarce resources is an investment in those organizations that achieve results for their community.
FLEX is supported by multiple current and past donors through the Hawai‘i Community Foundation. Nonprofits will be considered for funding based on each individual fund’s preferences. Information submitted in the “Organization & Program Profile,” as well as responses to the narrative questions, allows HCF to match applicants with appropriate funds.
Please visit the Strengthening Hawai‘i’s Communities webpage for a full list of funds.
FLEX Grants Program
- For Nonprofits with Annual Operating Budgets of $250,000 or more.
- Grants are generally awarded for one year.
- Amounts awarded are up to 20% of an organization’s most recently completed annual budget and will typically not exceed $50,000
FLEX Grants Program - Small
- For Nonprofits with Annual Operating Budgets of less than $250,000
- Organizations that have operating budgets of $100,000 or less are eligible to apply under this RFP but may, instead, elect to apply through the FLEX Grants Program – Micro RFP,
- Grants are generally awarded for one year and will typically not exceed $20,000.
FLEX Grants Program - Micro
- For Nonprofits with Annual Operating Budgets of less than $100,000, fiscally-sponsored organizations, community-serving groups, a program of a church, or a project of a Hawai‘i DOE school*
- Grants are generally awarded for one year and will typically not exceed $10,000.
See the FLEX Eligibility Chart for determining under which RFP your organization should apply.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- The organization must have a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) status for a minimum of two (2) years.
- The organization must provide services in the State of Hawai‘i, and have been providing those services in Hawai‘i for a minimum of 2 years.
- Organizations with multiple branches or chapters may only submit one application for its organization.
- See the FLEX Eligibility Chart for full details
- Community-serving groups that do not have a 501c3 nonprofit designation, programs of churches, programs of schools, and fiscally sponsored organizations are no longer eligible for the FLEX Grants Program.
- Organizations currently funded by HCF with overdue final reports are not eligible to apply.
- For-profit organizations are not eligible to apply.
- Organizations with fiscal sponsors are not eligible to apply through this RFP.
- FLEX does not fund the start-up of projects or organizations.
- FLEX Grants may not be used for the following
- Re-granting (i.e., redistribution of these funds to other organizations or individuals)
- For the benefit of specific individuals
- Major capital improvements including capital campaigns, construction or renovations (minor capital improvements required to implement programs are allowable)
- Activities that promote religious beliefs
Want to discover new grants?
See how we help our customers save time and find new funding by trying out Instrumentl for 14-days free or learn more.
“This is the best foundation match & grant tracking tool I've used in my many years of fundraising.”