Frances L. & Edwin L. Cummings Memorial Fund Grant
Frances L. & Edwin L. Cummings Memorial Fund
Grant amount: US $25,000 - US $45,000
Next anticipated deadline: Oct 1, 2018
Later anticipated deadlines: Apr 1, 2019
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Training / Capacity Building, Education / Outreach, Applied Project / Program, Biomedical, Behavioral
Location of project: Counties in New Jersey: Bergen County, Essex County, Hudson County, Passaic County, Union County, Counties in New York: Bronx County, Kings County, New York County, Queens County, Richmond County Expand all
Location of residency: New York, Counties in New Jersey: Bergen County, Essex County, Hudson County, Passaic County, Union County, Counties in New York: Bronx County, Kings County, New York County, Queens County, Richmond County Expand allView website Save Need help writing this grant?
Frances L. & Edwin L. Cummings Memorial Fund Grant
The primary interest of the Frances L. & Edwin L. Cummings Memorial Fund is to support organizations operating in New York City and Northeastern New Jersey [view map] that provide programs and services in the areas of social welfare, education and health. The Fund has a special interest in youth programs located in these regions.
We are, however, unable to provide funding for programs within the cultural arts category.
We invite you to browse our site to determine if the work of your organization falls within our areas of interest, and, if so, to learn more about how to apply for a grant.
Areas of Interest
The Cummings Fund’s main interest is in the piloting or expansion of new, innovative programs of organizations primarily based in New York City and its more urbanized surrounding areas in Northeastern New Jersey (i.e., Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Passaic and Union Counties) [view map]. Exceptions to the geographic restriction are granted only when a Co-Trustee or Advisory Board Member has personal knowledge of an organization outside of this region.
The Co-Trustees generally endeavor to creatively fill existing community needs in areas particularly under-funded at present. The Cummings Fund has a particular interest in programs serving young people.
The Fund provides support for:
- New program development
- Staffing for new programs and program expansion
- Capacity building (technical/management assistance)
- Consulting services (e.g., to assist the Board’s development of a strategic plan)
The major fields of interest are:
- Social Welfare, especially programs addressing issues including child welfare, youth development, juvenile delinquency, housing/homelessness, and employment/job training.
- Education, especially efforts to reform the public education system or programs that serve public school children from disadvantaged backgrounds including but not limited to in-school and afterschool STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) and literacy initiatives, staff/teacher training and development, college guidance and success, and counseling services.
- Health Care, especially institutions and programs that connect economically and socially disadvantaged populations to health care and mental health services.
On a less frequent basis, the Fund also provides funding for:
- Medical Research, which has been pre-screened, ranked and given high priority by an objective, national scientific advisory committee.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Organizations with tax exempt status under I.R.C. Section 501(c)(3).
- Except in unusual circumstances, The Cummings Fund approves grants for only one year at a time and will not consider more than two consecutive grants towards the same project.
- The Cummings Fund only supports organizations operating in New York City and 5 counties in Northeastern New Jersey:
- The Bronx
- Staten Island
- Bergen County
- Essex County
- Hudson County
- Passaic County
- Union County
- The Cummings Fund is legally restricted from contributing, in any manner, to the cultural arts.
- Further, as a matter of general practice, The Cummings Fund does NOT normally approve grant requests falling into the following categories:
- Programs located outside of New York City and outside of the following Northeastern New Jersey Counties: Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Passaic and Union [view map]
- Alcoholism and Drug Addiction Treatment Programs
- Bereavement Programs
- Camping Programs
- Capital Campaigns
- Capital Expenses including building, equipment and moving expenses
- Day Care Programs for Children or Adults
- Entrepreneurship Programs
- Environmental Programs
- Faith-based Initiatives
- Financial Literacy Programs
- General Operating Expenses
- Legal Aid Programs
- Private Elementary and Secondary Schools
- Private Individuals
- Publications and Media Projects
- Public Opinion Polls, Surveys, and Research Studies
- Public Policy, Advocacy and/or Community Organizing Initiatives
- Scholarship Programs
- Senior Citizens’ Programs
- Soup Kitchens and/or Food Banks
- Sports-focused Youth Programs
- Well-Endowed Institutions
- Organizations without Audited Financial Statements
- Organizations lacking tax exempt status under I.R.C. Section 501(c)(3)
About this funder:
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Frances L. & Edwin L. Cummings Memorial Fund Grant by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.