Fund for Maine Land Conservation
Maine Community FoundationSuggest an update
Deadline: Oct 15, 2020 8:59pm PDT
Grant amount: Up to US $10,000
Fields of work: Land/Habitat Conservation
Applicant type: Government Entity, Nonprofit, Indigenous Group
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, General Operating Expense, Project / Program
Location of project: Maine
Location of residency: MaineView website Save
About this funder:
The Fund for Maine Land Conservation seeks to support projects that encourage preservation of Maine’s land. This grant program has four objectives:
- Help preserve traditional uses of land,
- Provide for continued public access,
- Protect sensitive ecological areas,
- Promote greater appreciation of the environment.
Types of Support
The Fund for Maine Land Conservation will award two types of grants
Project grants provide support for new or expanded projects. Projects are activities with a clear start and end, with goals and objectives related to but not the same as the organization’s mission. This includes but is not limited to:
- Community outreach and stakeholder involvement,
- Field surveys or natural resources inventories,
- Volunteer stewardship training,
- Preliminary planning for large-scale conservation projects.
Organizational development grants
Organizational development grant support activities that will improve operations and efficiency for land conservation organizations. This includes but is not limited to:
- Strategic planning with clearly defined goals or outcomes;
- Membership expansion;
- Board and staff training and development;
- System improvements (e.g. databases, financial, and geographic information systems;
- Partnerships and collaborations, including resources sharing and mergers.
Successful applicants for organizational development grants will include an explanation of how the proposed activities will improve or strengthen the organization.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Eligible organizations include land trusts and other nonprofit and governmental entities based in the State of Maine whose mission is land conservation and/or watershed protection.
- Applicants must be:
- nonprofit, 501(c)(3) federal tax-exempt organizations;
- public schools;
- public agencies working for the State of Maine or Indian tribal governments (and their political subdivisions), recognized by the Department of the Interior or have a fiscal sponsor that is a 501(c)(3) organization;
- public school or public agency.
- Projects that involve collaboration are strongly encouraged.
- This grant program does not provide support for land purchases, easements or other costs associated with those transactions.
- The fund does not support:
- Land acquisition costs (fee, easement, option or transaction costs);
- Trail construction and associated infrastructure (e.g. parking, kiosks, signage);
- Capital improvements for the general organizational operations or equipment valued at more than $250;
- Capital campaigns or endowments and other activities designed to increase the capital or assets of an organization (e.g. fundraising communications and events);
- Ongoing operating costs including overhead, administrative costs, salaries of key staff not directly linked to the proposed project, and activities that are a normal part of the organization’s mission and have no clear start or ending dates;
- Lobbying or religious activities;
- Expenses that have already been incurred.
Want to discover new grants?
See how we help our customers save time and find new funding by trying out Instrumentl for 14-days free or learn more.
“This is the best foundation match & grant tracking tool I've used in my many years of fundraising.”