Gary "Pete" Peterson Dryland Soil Management Scholarship
Soil Science Society of America
Suggest an update
Mar 20, 2019 2:00pm PDT (Pre proposal)
Mar 27, 2019 2:00pm PDT (Full proposal)
Graduate Student Undergraduate Student
Applicants must be a member of this organization to apply. Become a member.
Location of project:
Anywhere in the world
Location of residency:
Location of citizenship:
Canada, Mexico, United States
Need help writing this grant?
Note: Nominations must be initiated by the "pre-proposal" deadline listed above. Full applications are due at the "full-proposal" deadline.
The purpose of this scholarship is to encourage students to pursue research and careers in dryland soil management and to honor the teaching and research career of Gary "Pete" Peterson. Pete’s career emphasis has been the application of soil science principles to the solution of field-level soil management problems.
Dryland farming is defined herein as a special case of rain fed agriculture practiced in arid and semiarid regions in which annual precipitation is about 35% of potential evapotranspiration. Conditions of moderate to severe moisture stress occur during a substantial part of the year, greatly limiting yield potential. Dryland farming emphasizes water conservation in all practices throughout the year.
The scholarship was established by friends and colleagues of Gary "Pete" Peterson, a prominent and highly respected soil scientist and former president of SSSA (2008). Funds for the scholarship are made available by the Agronomic Science Foundation and administered by the Soil Science Society of America.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Applicants shall be enrolled in a graduate-level degree program in the Soil Sciences curriculum of an accredited university located in the United States.
- M.S. or Ph.D. students OR
- current undergraduate students accepted for a graduate program
- Applicants pursuing a degree in dryland soil and crop management or closely related field are eligible to apply.
- Applicants shall be a citizen of a North American country: the United States, Canada, or Mexico.
- Applicants shall be in good academic standing with a GPA of 3.5 or better on a 4 point scale.
- Applicants shall exhibit evidence of leadership activities within their school or community.
- Applicants shall have future plans related to a career in Soil Science.
- Previous awardees are eligible for renewal of the scholarship.
You must be a member of this organization to apply for this award - become a member. Current student members are eligible to apply.
- Preference will be given to nominees whose research focuses on practical issues that involve field experiments.
- Members of this SSSA Awards Committee, the SSSA Board of Directors, and ASA Executive Committee are not eligible to be a reference for this award
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Gary "Pete" Peterson Dryland Soil Management Scholarship by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.