Geographical Fieldwork Grants
Royal Geographical SocietySuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to £3,000
Anticipated deadline: Feb 15, 2021
Applicant type: Undergraduate Student Postdoctoral Researcher Faculty Masters Student Research Scientist
Funding uses: Research
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: United Kingdom
Age restriction: At least 18 years of ageView website Save
The Royal Geographical Society (with IBG) supports UK led research teams carrying out geographical field research and exploration overseas. One of the ways it does this is by granting RGS-IBG approval and/or financial support of up to £3,000 through Geographical Fieldwork Grants to small research teams making a significant contribution to geographical knowledge.
The Geographical Fieldwork Grant is the Society's longest running grant scheme. Every year, we help upwards of 20 teams of students and researchers get into the field, through this grant scheme.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Through these grants, the Society supports groups, defined as three or more people, not individuals
- A team is defined as three or more people.
- At least one third of the team should be UK citizens and/ or registered at a UK higher education institution.
- We strongly recommend the inclusion of host-country
members in the team (see FAQ).
- At least one third of the group should be registered at a higher education institution in the UK and/or be a British citizen and/or be a Fellow or member of the Royal Geographical Society (with IBG)
- All members should be aged over eighteen.
- Projects that include a mix of university students and teaching staff will be supported provided students make a significant contribution to the design and implementation of the proposed research.
- This must be evident in the application.
- Teams must be in the field for 30 days or more
- Projects that include a mix of university students and research staff or funded PhD researchers, this grant should only be sought for, and by, the undergraduate or masters students involved.
- This grant is for independent groups.
- Preference will be given to research teams involving nationals from the host country (FAQ)
- This grant is not intended to cover funding shortfalls for core fieldwork for PhD research projects.
- Younger groups from schools, youth clubs, or training exercises where senior people organise, teach and lead younger people, under the age of 18, are not supported by this programme.
- We will NOT support those joining a commercial expedition or pre-paid expedition, including organised charity fund-raising tours.
- Projects in which the majority of team members are research active academics or research staff will not be supported.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Geographical Fieldwork Grants by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.