On To the Future Grants
Geological Society of America (GSA)Suggest an update
Grant amount: US $50 - US $1,000
Anticipated deadline: May 31, 2020
Applicant type: Undergraduate Student Graduate Student
Funding uses: Conference
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: Canada, United StatesView website Save
About this funder:
On To the Future
The On To the Future Program (OTF) is a grassroots initiative of the Geological Society of America (GSA) that addresses the organization’s overall strategic commitment to building a diverse geoscience community by engaging groups traditionally underrepresented in the geosciences. The OTF Program awards partial travel scholarships to undergraduate and graduate students, and recent graduates, studying in the geosciences to attend their first GSA Annual Meeting.
At the Annual Meeting, students are provided opportunities to better understand the array of geoscience research and career options and build personal networks within the scientific and professional community. For many OTF students, the Annual Meeting is the focal point in their professional development that helps them make informed decisions about a career in the geosciences.
Beyond the Annual Meeting, OTF students are a part of a growing network of diverse geoscience leaders, informed with career and leadership tools to build a robust, knowledgeable, and engaged scientific community.
On To the Future celebrates the growing diversity of the GSA community and the importance of GSA's student membership through inviting, supporting, and mentoring an increased number of students from diverse backgrounds to their first GSA meeting. This community is designed to provide a place for OTF students to gain exposure to the wide array of geoscience research and career options available. It is intended to facilitate effective mentoring relationships and networking opportunities to help OTF students become engaged leaders in the scientific and professional community.
Initiated in 2013 by the GSA Diversity in the Geosciences Committee with strong support from the GSA President, Council, and Foundation, the program formed part of GSA's 125th celebrations. With funding from individual members and donors, corporate sponsors, and GSA’s Sections, Divisions and Associated Societies, OTF will continue to support underrepresented students to attend the GSA Annual Meeting.
On To the Future Goals
- To enable a cohort of diverse students to attend their first GSA Annual Meeting.
- To provide students with information, activities, and opportunities in career and leadership development to increase the pool of participants in the global geoscience workforce.
- To build and sustain relationships among all OTF students through ongoing opportunities for community service and career development.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Eligible applicants meet the following criteria:
- Undergraduate/graduate student at an accredited North American institution or a recent college graduate who resides in North America.
- From a community underrepresented in the geosciences, such as low-income, ethnic, minority, first generation, non-traditional, women, veterans, LGBTQ+, and/or persons with disabilities.
- Never attended an Annual Meeting.
- You do not have to be a GSA member to apply to the OTF Program.
- You do not have to present research in order to apply to the OTF Program.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the On To the Future Grants by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.