George J. Mitchell Scholarship
Grant amount: Unspecified amount
Anticipated deadline: Sep 29, 2018 2:00pm PDT
Applicant type: Graduate Student
Funding uses: Scholarship
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: Anywhere in the world
Location of citizenship: United States
Must travel to: Ireland
Age restriction: Between 18 and 29 years of ageView website Save Need help writing this grant?
The George J. Mitchell Scholarship is a nationally competitive award for U.S. citizens sponsored by the US-Ireland Alliance. Named in honor of the former U.S. Senator's pivotal contribution to the Northern Ireland peace process, the Mitchell Scholarship is designed to introduce and connect future American leaders to the island of Ireland, while recognizing and fostering academic excellence, leadership, and a commitment to public service.
Up to twelve Mitchell Scholars between the ages of 18 and 30 are chosen annually for one academic year of postgraduate study in any discipline offered by institutions of higher learning in Ireland and Northern Ireland. There is no one thing the committee is looking for in a Mitchell Scholar. Successful applicants have documented evidence of significant achievement in:
- Academic excellence
- Commitment to community and public service
Successful candidates have come from a variety of large and small universities both public and private, as well as the workforce.
The Mitchell Scholarship Program provides full tuition, housing, and a monthly living stipend (currently $1250 USD) for up to one year of post-graduate academic study in Ireland. Most programs run for nine months. Up to three additional months of stipend will be provided, if required by the program (for a maximum of 12 months).
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- A Candidate for the Mitchell Scholarship Program must meet all the following criteria:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be 18 years of age or older, but not yet 30, on September 30 of the year of application (those who turn 30 on September 30th are not eligible).
- Have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university before beginning study as a Mitchell Scholar.
- Degrees from international accredited universities are acceptable, if all other conditions are met.
- Mitchell Scholars may study or conduct research at institutions of higher learning including the seven universities in Ireland and two of the Institutes in Dublin.
- Dublin City University
- Dublin Institute of Technology
- Dun Laoghaire Institute of Art, Design & Technology
- National University of Ireland, Galway
- National University of Ireland, Maynooth
- Queen's University Belfast
- Trinity College Dublin
- University College Cork
- University College Dublin
- University of Limerick
- University of Ulster
- For the 2016-2017 selection process, applicants may not choose the two universities in Northern Ireland: Queen's University, Belfast and the University of Ulster.
- While married applicants or applicants with partners are accepted, no allowance is made for the expenses of an applicant’s spouse, partner, or dependents.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the George J. Mitchell Scholarship by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.