GMF: Nonprofit Management Fund Grant
Greater Milwaukee Foundation
Grant amount: US $1,000 - US $10,000
Next deadline: Aug 15, 2018
Later deadlines: Nov 16, 2018, Feb 16, 2019, May 16, 2019
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Training / Capacity Building
Location of project: Counties in Wisconsin: Milwaukee County, Ozaukee County, Washington County, Waukesha County
Location of residency: Counties in Wisconsin: Milwaukee County, Ozaukee County, Washington County, Waukesha CountyView website Save Need help writing this grant?
NOTE: An organization must have a profile on Philanthropy Online, our online grants management system, before they will be given access to any grant application.
The mission of the Nonprofit Management Fund is to improve the management effectiveness and efficiency of nonprofit organizations and to increase the resources for nonprofit management. The expectations are that grantees will become more effective and efficient in serving clients, program participants, their audience, or the community-at- large.
Examples of Funding Areas
- Board Development
- Staff Training
- Strategic/Annual Planning
- Corporate Restructuring
- Organizational Assessment
- Financial Management
- Human Resources
- Earned Income Strategies
- Fund Development
Grants awarded will be project specific, nonrenewable, and range from $1,000 – $10,000.
Corporate Structure/Board of Directors – Building capacity of the organization’s board to lead and govern through proven modes, practices and policies.
Technical Assistance/Development that addresses:
- Recruitment and orientation of Directors and Committee Members
- Board Governance (leadership charge, officers, committees, meetings, accountability)
- Committee Activation (leadership, meetings, accountability)
Technical Assistance/Training that addresses the many ways that governing boards can learn how to execute their roles and responsibilities and know, value and leverage contributions of their Directors or non-director Committee members
- Examples include but not limited to:
- Organization/Board Planning (annual/strategic)
- Financial Management Oversight
- Income Planning
- Fund Development Planning
- Fundraising Special Events (organizing, planning, execution, evaluation)
- Trends in Nonprofit Management
- Technology Planning
- Communications/Marketing Planning
Management Assistance – Building capacity of the organization’s operation (policies and practices) to fulfill its mission, vision and goals.
Technical Assistance that addresses, but not limited to:
- Programs and Services (assessment, accountability, record keeping, collaboration)
- Staff Development & Training (team building, performance management, staffing structure)
- Financial Management/Budget Construction
- Facilities (space assessment & planning)
- Technology (use/implementation, needs assessment, planning)
- Organization Planning (strategic/business plan)
- Organization Assessment
- Leadership Succession (Executive/Board)
- Fund Development Planning
Organizational Alternative Professional facilitation of organization’s planning for:
- Joint Venture Project
A written agreement from the consultant detailing the services to be performed, along with the fee schedule, should be attached to the application. The consultant's work plan should describe activities to be undertaken and expected outcomes. Applications will not be funded without such material being submitted prior to a recommendation by the Fund Advisor. The review committee will decline an application listing a current Board Director as the consultant, or one where a Director resigns from the Board to become a contractor or a consultant for the applicant organization. As a matter of policy, the Fund does not recommend or endorse any particular technical assistance provider.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Small and medium-sized private, nonprofit, tax-exempt 501(c)3) organizations, which have been incorporated for at least two years and serve Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Washington, or Waukesha counties.
- Applicants must have an annual operating budget of at least $25,000 and no greater than $3 million.
- Religious organizations will be considered for project support if the proposed work serves the general community and neighborhoods beyond the membership of the applicant.
- In order for a statewide organization to be considered for funding, 70 percent of its work must be in the greater Milwaukee area.
- Projects to promote a particular denomination or faith will be ineligible.
- The fund will not award grants to organizations with a primary mission of grant making.
- Business Improvement Districts or other entities that have a taxing authority are ineligible to apply.
- Grants will not be made for general operating support, office equipment or furnishings, construction or rehabilitation of facilities, emergency repairs, payroll needs, debt liquidation, or routine financial audits.
- The fund does not support general program planning, program evaluation, or community needs assessment.
- The fund will not underwrite expenses associated with capital campaigns, including feasibility studies.
- The fund will not consider funding for independent contractors to perform staff functions.
About this funder:
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the GMF: Nonprofit Management Fund Grant by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.