GSA Graduate Student Research Grants
Geological Society of America (GSA)Suggest an update
Grant amount: Up to US $7,500
Anticipated deadline: Feb 1, 2020 4:00pm PST
Applicant type: Graduate Student
Funding uses: Research
Membership: Applicants must be a member of this organization to apply. Become a member.
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: Central America, Canada, Mexico, United StatesView website Save Need help writing this grant?
The primary role of the GSA research grants program is to provide partial support of master's and doctoral thesis research in the geological sciences for graduate students enrolled in universities in the United States, Canada, Mexico and Central America. In 2017, $692,164 was awarded to 395 graduate students (50% of the 785 who applied), with an average grant of $1,752.
The Committee on Research Grants selects recipients of special awards from applicants to the general research grants program. A student may not apply directly for a specialized grant, however may indicate on the application if he/she would like to be considered for an award. These are generally recognition awards only with no additional funding. However, some specialized awardees may be funded for an amount greater than US$2,500.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Eligibility is restricted to GSA members.
- Applicants (US or non-US) must be currently enrolled in a North American or Central American university or college in an earth science degree program (with a geologic component).
- Students may receive a total of two GSA graduate student grants in their entire academic career, regardless of what program currently enrolled in.
- If fully justified, funding can be used for:
- Travel costs to the research area
- Room and board
- Travel in the field
- Services of a technician or field assistant
- Funding of chemical and isotopic analyses
- Specialized equipment
- Internal university research expenses (rental of university equipment, supplies, computer time, thin sections and in-house charges for analytical instruments)
- External university research expenses (expenses for equipment, expendable supplies, and
machine charges will be considered by the committee if fully justified and not
available from other sources)
You must be a member of this organization to apply for this award - become a member.
- GSA strongly encourages women, minorities, and persons with disabilities to participate fully in this grant program.
- Funding cannot be applied towards:
- Purchase of ordinary field equipment (cameras, GPS, software)
- The purchase of some services to conduct research
- Maintenance of the families of the grantees and their assistants
- Reimbursement for work already accomplished
- Travel, registration, or presentation for professional meetings
- Advisor participation
- Tuition costs
- Publication costs
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the GSA Graduate Student Research Grants by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.