Animal Welfare Organizations Grants
Predicted deadline: Jul 31, 2024
Grant amount: Unspecified amount
Fields of work: Animal Welfare - Domestic Animals & Pets
Applicant type: Government Entity, Nonprofit
Funding uses: General Operating Expense, Project / Program
Location of project: United States
Location of residency: United States
The Petco Foundation
Since 1999, we’ve invested millions in adoption and medical care programs, spay and neuter services, pet cancer research and numerous other lifesaving initiatives—always investing wisely in organizations with the most lifesaving impact. In partnership with animal welfare organizations and 1,500 Petco stores across the country, we help bring pets together with loving families every day.
About our investments
As one of the nation's largest funders of animal welfare causes, we hold a responsibility and obligation to invest funds wisely in organizations that achieve their mission and vision. Therefore, success, accountability, and prudent use of funds are important to our grant analysis and follow-up process. We have an expectation that animal welfare organizations continually endeavor to achieve a high standard of doing more, and are determined to save as many lives as possible with our investment.
Grants For Sheltering and Adoption Organizations
Organization Type: Our applications are categorized by organization type instead of by type of project or program. It is important that you read the organization type definitions carefully prior to filling out an application and that you apply using the correct application for your organization. The three organization types below are eligible to apply during the Animal Welfare Organizations grant cycle:
Please read the descriptions below and select the most appropriate category for your organization:
- Non-profit organization that is primarily a foster-based rescue.
- 501c3 nonprofit organizations performing adoptions of companion animals; and
- A primary service of your organization is temporarily caring for animals in need for the purpose of finding them new homes.
- Nonprofit or municipal agency that is responsible for animal control sheltering (legally or contractually obligated to accept stray dogs or cats).
- Municipal or other governmental agency, department or division providing animal control sheltering per local ordinance as well as other services, including adoptions; OR
- 501c3 nonprofit organizations legally or contractually obligated to accept stray dogs or cats from 1 or more municipalities in addition performing adoptions and other services.
- Nonprofit, SPCA, or Humane Society that operates a shelter and performs adoptions.
- o501c3 nonprofit organizations performing sheltering and adoptions of companion animals; and
- A primary service of your organization is temporarily caring for animals in need for the purpose of finding them new homes; and
- You operate out of a sheltering facility.
- Organizations applying under this application may also perform significant other functions like spay/neuter surgeries and veterinary clinic services in addition to the primary service of placing animals up for adoption.
- IMPORTANT: If your organization is legally or contractually obligated to accept stray dogs or cats from 1 or more municipalities in addition performing adoptions and other services, please select the organization type: Nonprofit or municipal agency that is responsible for animal control sheltering (legally or contractually obligated to accept stray dogs or cats)
For the organization types listed above:
- There is one grant cycle available during each year.
- Applicants may submit one proposal per grant cycle.
- For organizations receiving multi-year funding, all installment payments must have been completed before submitting a new application.
- For organizations that have received funding in the past, all outstanding grant reports must be completed before submitting a new application.
- ALL organizations must also submit their Annual Partnership Report* with their animal data for the previous year along with their most recent financial information. *Grant applications received from organizations who have not also submitted their Annual Partnership Report will be automatically declined.
- The person submitting the application must be an authorized representative of such organization. If you are a
- “Friends of” organization, we recommend you work with the primary animal intake organization and assist them in completing the application.
Lifesaving Impact Award/Plan
If your organization serves a significant number of animals (at least 2,500 annual intake), you may apply for a lifesaving impact award. Lifesaving impact awards are grants of $100,000 or more and/or multi-year awards. Lifesaving impact awards are very limited and the process to request such award is more extensive. The amount of such award that your organization is seeking should be directly related to the number of animals that your organization serves, the percentage impact that our investment will make on your lifesaving efforts and many other factors.
Finalists for lifesaving impact awards may be required to submit additional information to the Foundation or participate in interviews prior to a decision being rendered. Lifesaving impact awards may be submitted for any purpose provided that your lifesaving impact award is expected to result in an increase in your lifesaving percentage or other significant positive impact for the animals of your community.
Lifesaving impact awards requests may be submitted for any lifesaving purpose. With a request for a lifesaving impact award you are required to submit a detailed plan to increase the lifesaving rate in your community, and describe how our investment will assist in such efforts.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- The following organizations are eligible to apply:
- Animal Control agencies & non-profit organizations responsible for animal control sheltering.
- SPCA/humane societies and other non-profits that operate primarily out of an animal sheltering facility.
- Non-profit organizations that are primarily foster-based rescues.
- The Petco Foundation prefers to fund requests where our investment will increase lifesaving programs and not merely fund programs that continue the status quo.
- We are unable to support individuals, organizations outside the United States, or non-profit organizations whose primary mission is not related to companion animal welfare.
- If your organization is primarily one of the types listed below, please do not fill out an application at this time. We advise you to visit our website for the appropriate application period.
- Spay/neuter clinics
- Community cat support and TNR organizations
- Service and therapy animal organizations
- Community pet support organizations
- Pet food bank
- Sanctuaries (no application is currently available)
- “Friends of” organizations (no application is currently available)
- Organizations unrelated to the animal welfare field (no application is currently available)
Don’t miss out on other good fit funders!
See even more similar funders by creating a free 14-day account. Get personalized grant recommendations, tracking and more.
“Through Instrumentl, I was able to accomplish in 6 hours...SIX HOURS...what would have taken days or weeks with [another] search engine.”