Greater Lawrence Summer Fund Grant
Essex County Community FoundationSuggest an update
Grant amount: US $1,000 - US $15,000
Deadline: Mar 2, 2020
Applicant type: Indigenous Group Government Entity Nonprofit
Funding uses: Education / Outreach
Location of project: Essex County, Massachusetts
Location of residency: United StatesView website Save
About this funder:
The Greater Lawrence Summer Fund (GLSF) focuses on closing the opportunity and achievement gaps for thousands of low-income youth in greater Lawrence each year by providing enrichment activities during out-of-school time.
For over 25 years, this fund has supported high-quality summer programs that:
- Enhance social, academic and emotional abilities
- Discourage unhealthy behaviors by providing safe alternatives
- Reduce summer learning loss, which has been shown to widen the achievement gap between low-income youth and their more affluent peers
The Greater Lawrence Summer Fund (GLSF) supports enriching summer opportunities for inner-city school-aged children and teens in the Greater Lawrence communities by connecting donors with agencies in need of funding for such programs. GLSF seeks to achieve maximum impact of philanthropic dollars by supporting programs that:
- Respond to community needs with high quality summer programs for as many school-age youth as possible in Greater Lawrence.
- Provide young people with opportunities for skill development, personal growth and exposure to new experiences.
- Provide enriching educational opportunities that address summer learning loss and the opportunity gap often affecting youth in low-income communities.
- Promote and encourage interaction and communication among youth and staff from different ethnic and racial backgrounds and from different neighborhoods.
In addition, GLSF is seeking to support the revitalization of the Lawrence Public Schools. To that end, GLSF is also interested in programs that:
- Partner with the Lawrence Public Schools (one or many schools within the system) to provide collaborative and creative educational summer opportunities for youth. Please note that agencies applying for such funding may submit more than one application to GLSF. For example: Agency XYZ has a new program that they are working on in collaboration with the schools. In addition, Agency XYZ has a program for which they traditionally apply to GLSF. Agency XYZ is allowed to apply to GLSF for both programs.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Applicants must have a 501(c)(3) tax status under the IRS tax code and serve residents of the designated communities of Lawrence, Andover, North Andover and Methuen.
- ECCF is committed to non-discrimination.
- We support organizations that use all reasonable efforts to recruit, hire, train, promote and serve persons without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law, except where such status is a bona fide qualification for the service being provided and is related to the organization's mission.
- Stand alone programs within umbrella organizations may be eligible if they meet the following criteria:
- The umbrella organization provides the 501(c)3 status but not much more.
- The program has a separate budget and raises its own funds to cover this budget.
- Note: If the program has only a small amount of administrative costs covered by the umbrella organization, they are still eligible to apply.
- There is a letter of agreement/understanding between the program and the umbrella organization.
- The program is core to the mission of the umbrella organization and serves a substantial number of the core client population.
- GLSF grants will not be awarded:
- To individuals.
- For sectarian or religious purposes.
- Note: GLSF is limited to non-sectarian programming for youth of all religious and ethnic backgrounds. Programs sponsored by religious organizations are eligible, provided enrollment is open to all youth, and the program is free of mandatory religious instruction, worship, or other sectarian activities.
- For political purposes.
- For debt or deficit reduction.
- For capital campaigns for buildings, land acquisition or endowment.
- To support academic research.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Greater Lawrence Summer Fund Grant by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.