GWF: Arts Forward Fund
Greater Washington Community FoundationSuggest an update
Predicted deadline: Aug 27, 2021
Grant amount: US $10,000 - US $50,000
Fields of work: Art & Culture
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Project / Program, Education / Outreach, Training / Capacity Building
Location of project: District of Columbia, Counties in Maryland: Montgomery County, Prince George's County, Counties in Virginia: Alexandria city, Arlington County, Fairfax County, Fairfax city, Falls Church city Show all
Location of residency: District of Columbia, Counties in Maryland: Montgomery County, Prince George's County, Counties in Virginia: Alexandria city, Arlington County, Fairfax County, Fairfax city, Falls Church city Show allView website Save
Arts Forward Fund
Established in July 2020, the Arts Forward Fund is a collaborative partnership between The Morris & Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation, Greater Washington Community Foundation, and other individual and institutional contributors. The purpose of the Arts Forward Fund is to provide resources to help arts and culture organizations in the DC region make essential shifts needed to continue their work despite the ongoing impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, and to respond to the growing national movement for racial justice.
The Arts Forward Fund partners believe that arts and culture organizations contribute immeasurably to our sense of community and well-being and are a critical economic engine for the region. Prior to making the initial grant to establish the fund, the Cafritz Foundation interviewed leaders of arts organizations across the DC region to better understand the impact COVID-19 was having on their operations, finances, and ability to fulfill their missions. The interviews revealed significant challenges and financial vulnerability, but also optimism, resilience, and creativity in finding a path forward.
The Arts Forward Fund will provide resources for capacity-building, training, and innovation to help arts and culture organizations continue their essential role in our communities.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Eligible applicants include:
- Arts and culture organizations serving the District of Columbia, Prince George’s and Montgomery counties in Maryland, Arlington and Fairfax counties and the cities of Alexandria, Falls Church, and Fairfax in Virginia.
- Applicants must be 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations or have a fiscal sponsor that is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.
- A fiscal sponsor need not be identified when the application is submitted but must be secured before a grant can be awarded.
- Organizations working across all artistic disciplines, including visual and performing arts, are eligible to apply, as are youth development organizations with an arts focus, arts education organizations, and grassroots arts organizations working for racial and social justice.
- Organizations with pre-COVID annual revenue of up to $10 million are eligible to apply. (Annual revenue is determined from financial statements for the most recently completed fiscal year.) There is no minimum annual revenue threshold for eligibility.
- The following are ineligible for support:
- Private and public schools, including public charter schools
- Arts and culture organizations located in the DC region that are not focused primarily on serving the DC region
- Arts and culture organizations headquartered outside the DC region