Public Conservation Assistance Fund (PCAF) Grant
Habitat Conservation Trust FoundationSuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to C $20,000
Deadline: May 16, 2020 4:30pm PDT
Applicant type: Organizations Individuals
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, Research, Project / Program
Location of project: Canada
Location of residency: CanadaView website Save Need help writing this grant?
It is the mission of HCTF to improve the conservation outcomes of BC’s fish and wildlife, and the habitats in which they live. We make a difference by funding conservation projects and by educating and engaging the public about BC’s natural assets.
What is PCAF?
The Public Conservation Assistance Fund provides small grants to organizations and individuals who need financial help to implement a conservation project. Since 1974, the Province of BC and the Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation provide approximately $150,000 each year to help implement on-the-ground conservation work, with a particular focus on hands-on, community-based, and public awareness initiatives.
Preferred PCAF projects are those that:
- have long-range benefits,
- involve as many volunteers as possible,
- offer opportunities for organizational capacity building, and
- raise community awareness and involvement in conservation
PCAF will fund eligible expenses up to $10,000 in any one year. You must match the requested funds by contributing a combination of volunteer labour (credited at $15 per hour), materials, or other allowable donations. At least half of your matching funds must be made up of volunteer labour. See the PCAF Application Rules & Guidelines document for more information. To assist as many groups as possible PCAF grants are modest, averaging about $2,500 each. The maximum total amount available over the life of a PCAF project is $20,000.
Some examples of PCAF projects and activities that we have funded include:
- building and installing bird nest boxes
- planting shrubs
- tagging / monitoring animals
- restoring riparian areas
- restoring grasslands
- building waterfowl nesting floats and boxes
- fencing to protect sensitive or restored areas
- improving habitat for freshwater fishes
- replanting forage species for ungulates to improve winter range
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Some types of projects or activities are ineligible for PCAF funding, including but not limited to:
- Lecture series or conventions
- Photographic documentaries
- Promotion of business opportunities
- Activities required for ongoing maintenance
- Payment of wages (except for contracted equipment or special expertise required in the field, e.g., a biologist, restoration specialist, etc.).
- vehicle mileage (fuel costs can be covered)
- Salmon-only or marine projects that do not demonstrate clear benefits to freshwater species or their habitats
- Administrative costs (ex. rent, utilities, etc.)
- Hatchery activities
- Design costs for newsletters and websites (printing costs for newsletters are eligible)
- Routine courses such as First Aid, Small Vessel Operation, etc.
- Grant applications must be approved before commencing your project. PCAF will not fund project activities retroactively.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Public Conservation Assistance Fund (PCAF) Grant by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.
Please wait while we load this grant.
Sorry, we're having trouble loading this grant.