Hampton Roads Community Foundation: Community Grants - Vibrant Places
Hampton Roads Community FoundationSuggest an update
Grant amount: US $1,000 - US $500,000
Anticipated deadline: Jan 15, 2020 2:00pm PST
Applicant type: Government Entity Nonprofit
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, Applied Project / Program, Capital Project
Location of project: Counties in Virginia: Accomack County, Chesapeake city, Franklin city, Isle of Wight County, Norfolk city, Northampton County, Portsmouth city, Virginia Beach city Expand all
Location of residency: Counties in Virginia: Accomack County, Chesapeake city, Franklin city, Isle of Wight County, Norfolk city, Northampton County, Portsmouth city, Virginia Beach city Expand allView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
The Hampton Roads Community Foundation connects you with charitable causes to improve life in our region. The community foundation manages permanent funds created by people from all walks of life. Its mission is to inspire philanthropy and transform the quality of life in southeastern Virginia.
The Foundation supports major capital projects and campaigns that are transformative for the organization and the communities it serves. Organizations requesting Vibrant Places facilities grants should support one of these areas:
- Health & Wellness
- Environmental Stewardship
- Educational Success
- Cultural Vitality
- Economic Stability
We see projects that will reduce local nonprofits' building operating costs over the long term and minimize the negative environmental impacts associated with construction and operation. We encourage "green" building practices that can cut heating and cooling costs, save water and reduce pollution.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- The Hampton Roads Community Foundation welcomes grant applications from 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations serving residents of South Hampton Roads, Viriginia, including:
- Eastern Shore of Virginia - Grants to Eastern Shore nonprofits are awarded in partnership with our affiliated Eastern Shore of Virginia Community Foundation.
- Isle of Wight County
- Virginia Beach
- While the Foundation prefers to award grants to 501(c)(3) nonprofit agencies that are independent of local, state and federal government, it will consider awarding grants to specific municipal entities or component units of government for projects generally provided by nonprofit agencies in other communities.
- This policy does not prohibit public and private colleges and universities from applying for funding.
- If your campaign goal is $1 million or more, your grant request may not exceed 5% of the goal, excluding any endowment goal.
- We give strong preference to facility grants that incorporate these types of "green" building practices.
- Requests for routine building maintenance and upgrades and equipment replacements and upgrades will be considered a low-grant priority.
- If your organization has received a Hampton Roads Community Foundation grant in the past three years, it is NOT eligible to apply for funding for the same type of grant.
- Please also note that grants are generally not available for:
- Organizations not tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code
- Fundraising events (such as tickets, raffles, auctions or tournaments), annual fundraising appeals or agency celebrations
- Ongoing operating support
- Capital projects and facilities and equipment upgrades that can be considered routine maintenance or replacements.
- Houses of worship
- Religious activities (organizations and activities that require religious participation by those receiving services)
- Political or fraternal organizations
- Endowment building
- Existing obligations, debts/liabilities or costs that an agency has already incurred
- Scholarly research
- Scholarships, camper fees, fellowships or travel
- Passenger vans for transporting youth
- National or international organizations or purposes
- Hospitals and similar health-care facilities unless applying for a Special Interest Grant
- Projects or services normally considered the responsibility of government
- Private primary or secondary schools, daycare facilities or academies other than those whose primary purpose is for students with special needs.
- Capital campaign requests exceeding 5% of a campaign valued at $1 million or more
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Hampton Roads Community Foundation: Community Grants - Vibrant Places by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.