Harry Smith Vacation Studentships
Microbiology SocietySuggest an update
Grant amount: £1,110 - £1,920
Anticipated deadline: Feb 11, 2020
Applicant type: Undergraduate Student
Funding uses: Research
Membership: Applicants must be a member of this organization to apply. Become a member.
Location of project: Ireland, United Kingdom
Location of residency: Ireland, United KingdomView website Save Need help writing this grant?
The Microbiology Society Harry Smith Vacation Studentship scheme enables undergraduate students studying microbiology to work on microbiological research projects during the summer vacation. It is a competitive scheme that sees an average of fifty students set out each summer to work on projects across the breadth of microbiology, and gain essential insight into the world of research. Harry Smith students also benefit from access to a grant to attend the Annual Conference, and are awarded a year’s free membership of the Society.
The studentships provide support at a rate of £185 per week for a period of up to eight weeks (minimum six weeks). An additional sum of up to £400 for specific research costs may also awarded.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Applicant (Project Supervisor) Eligibility:
- Full or Full Concessionary Members of the Society working in a Higher Education Institution, research institute or Small- or Medium-sized Enterprise (SME - as defined by Companies House) in the UK or Republic of Ireland.
- Applicants will act as the project supervisor and should be PhD qualified or hold a senior research or academic position.
- Applications must be made on behalf of a named student.
- Each applicant (project supervisor) may apply for sponsorship of one student candidate per round of application.
- Student Eligibility:
- The student must be registered for their degree at an institution in the UK or Republic of Ireland.
- Students may be undertaking an undergraduate degree in any area of biosciences or medical, dental or veterinary science.
- Students should have completed a minimum of two years of study on the programme, but not have started their final year at the time they take up the studentship.
- Project Eligibility:
- The work must take place in the summer immediately following the award.
- The research project must be on a microbiological subject.
- A studentship may be held in a laboratory away from the normal place of study, but it must be located in the UK or Republic of Ireland.
You must be a member of this organization to apply for this award - become a member. Project supervisors must be Full or Full Concessionary Members of the Society.
- This scheme does not support members of iGEM teams to undertake their iGEM project.
- Studentships will not be awarded for projects that are part of degree work.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Harry Smith Vacation Studentships by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.