Hawk Watch Fund
Hawk Migration Association of North America
Grant amount: US $250 - US $1,000
Anticipated deadline: Feb 15, 2019
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Research, Education / Outreach, General Operating Expense, Applied Project / Program
Location of project: Americas
Location of residency: AmericasView website Save Need help writing this grant?
Founded in 1974, HMANA’s mission is “To advance scientific knowledge and promote conservation of raptor populations through study and appreciation of raptor migration.” HMANA provides services to the hawk watching community via HawkCount, its online hawk watch information system and data archive and the Raptor Population Index program. Initiated in 2011, Hawk Watch Fund seeks to support HMANA’s mission by providing grants to help support independent hawk watches in the Americas.
Thewas created to offer support to the hawk watching community. The purpose of this Fund is to provide grants to assist watch sites looking for support whether it’s educational materials and displays, construction and maintenance of viewing platforms, hiring hawk watchers, or purchase of equipment. These grants will be made through a competitive application process and judged annually by a committee appointed by HMANA.
Hawk Watch Fund will support projects involving research, monitoring, education or conservation, such as:
- Educational materials and displays
- Construction and maintenance of viewing platforms
- Hiring of hawk watchers and other staff
- Staff and volunteer expenses related to specific projects
- Purchase of equipment
- Any other activity consistent with HMANA’s mission
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Hawk Watch Groups or non-profit organizations may submit applications.
- The group must demonstrate that it is responsible for the hawk watch, has a long-term (> 10 years) commitment to operating it, and maintains good coverage, including adherence to an acceptable written count protocol.
- The group must have a formal structure (committee or Board, and treasurer).
- Geographic Scope: The Americas.
- Hawk Watch Fund monies can be used to support various project costs including costs associated with promoting volunteer involvement, compiling and analysing data, reasonable field expenses and travel costs of volunteers and paid staff, and field equipment and supplies.
- Guidelines have been established regarding eligible salary, travel and living expenses.
- Applications from independent individuals will not be considered.
- Repeat applications from previously successful grantees for support of the same or a similar project will not be considered within 5 years following the initial grant.
- The following projects are generally considered to be a low priority for funding:
- Graduate student research
- Web site design and maintenance
- Publication costs
- Birding festivals/promotions
- Raptor rehabilitation projects
- Construction of artificial nest structures and nest boxes
About this funder:
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Hawk Watch Fund by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.