Health Information Outreach Award
National Library of Medicine
Predicted deadline: Apr 1, 2024 9:00pm PDT
Grant amount: US $15,000
Fields of work: Health Disparities & Social Determinants of Health Medical Education & Professional Training Health Information Technology Health & Medicine Community Health Education
Applicant type: Organizations
Funding uses: Project / Program, Education / Outreach, Training / Capacity Building
Membership: Applicants must be a member of this organization to apply. Become a member.
Location of project: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin Show all
Location of residency: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin Show all
The mission of the Network of the National Library of Medicine (NNLM) is to advance the progress of medicine and improve the public's health by providing U.S. researchers, health professionals, the public health workforce, educators, and the public with equal access to biomedical and health information resources and data.
The Health Information Outreach Award is to improve health literacy and increase health equity through engagement and training for health information. The award can be used to support:
- Instructional design and training of evidence-based health resources and information for workforce development
- Public or consumer outreach and engagement for awareness, evaluation, use, and understanding of credible health information including MedlinePlus or PubMed but not limited to the National Institutes of Health and the National Library of Medicine resources
- Online health information access and digital literacy skills training
Potential Project Ideas
Potential projects might include but are not limited to this list:
- Repurpose Facebook or Twitter messages from MedlinePlus or any one of the 27 NIH Institutes for social media campaigns.
- Host an NLM Exhibition
- Develop a multicultural and multilingual health information project.
- Partner for Telehealth
- Instruct for digital skills training for library or community staff, volunteers, or the general public.
- Engage with a local health educator for information and resources relevant to a priority community health need as identified in a local Consumer Health Needs Assessment (CHNA) in consultation with community partners (e.g., maternal health, diabetes, COVID-19, recovery and addiction, mental health, advance directives, health misinformation, etc.)
- Partner with a public health department or a community clinic to promote a vaccination drive or a health fair.
- Collaborate with a local county extension office to help raise community awareness of an environmental health concern while fostering science literacy skills.
- Organize a book discussion with a community or faith-based organization around health topics relevant to their health information needs. Invite authors or local expert speakers to participate.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Network Member Organizations in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin are eligible to apply.
You must be a member of this organization to apply for this award - become a member.
- Priority is given in consideration of:
- Programs focused on the NNLM priorities for confronting health misinformation, bridging the digital divide, or recognizing environmental determinants of health.
- Communities determined to be experiencing health disparities as a result of race and ethnicity; biological sex, gender identity or expression, and sexual orientation; cognitive and physical abilities; religious background, or identification; socio-economic status (past and current); education level; geographic location or other factors or demographics that create unequal access to the highest level of health.
- Collaboration or partnerships with public health departments, clinics and hospitals, libraries, and non-profit or faith-based organizations.
- Food, promotional items, and furniture are not allowable expenses.
- Exhibit Award
- Professional Development Award
- Region 2 Emergency Preparedness and Response Award
- Region 2 Exhibit Award
- Region 2 Health Information Outreach Award
- Region 2 Innovation Impact Award
- Region 2 Professional Development Awards
- Region 4 Professional Development Awards
- Training Outreach Awards
- Virtual Professional Development Award
Don’t miss out on other good fit funders!
See even more similar funders by creating a free 14-day account. Get personalized grant recommendations, tracking and more.
“Through Instrumentl, I was able to accomplish in 6 hours...SIX HOURS...what would have taken days or weeks with [another] search engine.”