Hertz Graduate Fellowship
The Hertz Foundation
Grant amount: Unspecified amount
Anticipated deadline: Oct 27, 2018
Applicant type: PhD Student
Funding uses: Fellowship
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: Anywhere in the world
Location of citizenship: United StatesView website Save Need help writing this grant?
The Foundation supports graduate students working towards the Ph.D. degree in the applied physical, biological and engineering sciences. These fields include applied mathematics, statistics, and quantitative aspects of modern biology.
Here, "applied" is broadly construed to mean fields of endeavor in which one applies, invents, and/or develops results from the basic physical sciences to generate solutions to problems of comparatively near-term, widespread human interest.
The Foundation's efforts complement the applied physical sciences portion of the NSF's graduate fellowship program (and the Foundation coordinates with the NSF periodically). The Foundation does not support study in pursuit of the M.D. Degree or work in descriptive biology, although it may support the Ph.D. portion of a joint M.D./Ph.D. study program.
Fields of Interest
- Computer Science
- Materials Science
- Quantitative Biology
- Earth Science
The Graduate Fellowship Award is based on merit (not need) and consists of a cost-of-education allowance and a personal-support stipend.
The cost-of-education allowance is accepted by all of the participating schools in lieu of all fees and tuition. Hertz Fellows therefore have no liability for any ordinary educational costs, regardless of their choice among participating schools.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Eligible applicants for Hertz Fellowships must be students of the applied physical,biological and engineering sciences who are citizens or permanent residents of the United States of America, and who are willing to morally commit to make their skills available to the United States in time of national emergency (see our Moral Commitment section).
- College seniors wishing to pursue the PhD degree in any of the fields of particular interest to the Foundation, as well as graduate students already in the process of doing so, may apply.
- Fellows must attend one of the Foundation's currently participating schools, or must petition the Foundation to include a school in the United States that he/she desires to attend.
- Successful Candidates are:
- Innovators who see challenges in new ways
- Eager to make a positive impact in the applied physical biological, and engineering sciences
- Applying to a PhD program or are in the first year of one
- An American citizen or permanent resident
- We generally do not award fellowships to students who are already beyond their first year of graduate study except in cases of "exceptional leverage."
- We do not support students pursuing advanced professional degrees other than the PhD, such as enrollees in MD, LLD or MBA programs.
- The Foundation does not support study in pursuit of the M.D. Degree or work in descriptive biology, although it may support the Ph.D. portion of a joint M.D./Ph.D. study program.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Hertz Graduate Fellowship by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.