HMSA Foundation Grant Program
Hawaii Medical Service Association Foundation
Grant amount: US $5,000 - US $30,000
Next deadline: Oct 1, 2018
Later deadlines: Jan 1, 2019, Apr 1, 2019, Jul 1, 2019
Applicant type: Nonprofit Government Entity
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, Applied Project / Program, Training / Capacity Building
Location of project: Hawaii
Location of residency: United StatesView website Save Need help writing this grant?
The mission of the HMSA Foundation is to extend HMSA’s commitment to providing access to cost-effective health care services; health promotion, education and research; and the promotion of social welfare.
The HMSA Foundation was established in 1986 by the Hawaii Medical Service Association to stimulate research of issues that confront Hawai`i’s health care industry. The Foundation is dedicated to improving health in Hawai`i through grantmaking, strategic initiatives, publications, and community-wide programs.
In response to tough economic times and the ever-growing need for education, research, information and financial support to help people understand and adapt to the rapidly changing health care market, the HMSA Foundation became a private foundation and established a grantmaking program in 1997. The HMSA Foundation provides a vehicle by which HMSA can invest resources in a cost-effective manner to enhance the overall health and quality of life for the communities we serve.
The HMSA Foundation is committed to improving the health of Hawaii's people by supporting community and statewide programs. Our program areas of interest are listed below:
Access to Health Care
- Objective: Improve access to high quality, affordable health care through service planning and care coordination, programs for the uninsured, and outreach initiatives.
Health Promotion & Disease Prevention
- Objective: Promote healthy lifestyles through safety/ injury prevention, clinical prevention services, quality improvement programs, physical activity promotion, and nutrition education.
General Social Welfare
- Objective: Support local community programs promoting healthier communities and social welfare through domestic violence and child abuse prevention, information and referral, emergency assistance, and community development.
Health Care Delivery System
- Objective: Maintain and improve the quality of health care services available to Hawaii residents through health care delivery models, health care quality measurement and improvement, provider delivery systems, performance measurement, financing and reimbursement, data collection and analysis, disease management, and consumer patient satisfaction programs.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- In general, the Foundation only makes grants to organizations that are tax-exempt because
- they are a unit of government or
- they are a 501(c)(3) organization that is not a private foundation.
- All projects must primarily benefit people within the State of Hawai`i.
- Most likely to be funded:
- Research projects
- Demonstration projects
- Organizational or community capacity building efforts
- Start-up programs
- Less likely to be funded:
- Start-up organizations
- Event support
- Particular consideration will be given to projects that exhibit the following characteristics. Please note that the grantmaking process is so competitive, that even declined proposals often contain one or more of these elements:
- Have clear, logical, realistic plans
- Are led by strong, proven organizations and individuals
- Already have support of key stakeholders (clients, community, intended partners, etc.)
- Leverage HMSA Foundation funds to acquire or match grants from outside of Hawai`i
- Employ an innovative approach to a defined problem
- Suggest opportunities for replication
- Have realistic plans for long-term sustainability
- Build an organization’s own capacity to carry out its mission in the future
- Advance the quality of health care in Hawai`i
- The Foundation does not make grants to individuals.
- The Foundation does not generally support requests for endowments, capital campaigns, scholarship funds, lobbying or voter registration funds.
- A maximum flat rate of 5 percent of total budget will be allowed for indirect costs.
- Unlikely to be funded:
- General program support
- General organizational support
- Capital improvement projects
- “Emergency” support
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the HMSA Foundation Grant Program by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.