Holiday Wishes Grant Campaign
Grant amount: US $5,050 - US $126,000
Deadline: Oct 1, 2018 5:00pm PDT
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: General Operating Expense
Location of project: United States
Location of residency: United StatesView website Save Need help writing this grant?
Holiday Wishes Grant Campaign
We invite pet parents and animal lovers across the country to share stories about how adopting a pet changed their lives—all for the chance to give deserving animal welfare organizations an opportunity to receive grants from the Petco Foundation.
Submitting a Story
Due to timing of the contest and review requirements, we can only guarantee that the first 10,000 stories will be fully reviewed and considered for the campaign. We encourage all to enter stories in the Holiday Wishes campaign early to assure consideration.
What Should The Story be About?
At the Petco Foundation, we’re All for Love and this year’s Holiday Wishes campaign focuses on how your relationship with your adopted pet has changed your life. So, we’re looking for stories describing how your adopted pet has made your life better. Stories range from the simplest things that bring more joy to life each and every day to the one-of-a-kind, extraordinary stories.
For example, maybe you used to sit home alone reading a book but now you’re sitting home with your favorite novel with a cat on your lap. Or your story can be more dramatic like the stories we see on the news when a dog saves a family from a house fire or a burglar. These stories, while very different, still show how a pet can significantly change our lives for the better. Your story should be a celebration of the love you share with your pet.
Remember to tell a story rather than simply reciting facts as they happened. Quality storytelling and supporting photos or videos will make your submission stand out from all the others. You may wish to reach out to the animal welfare organization that you adopted your pet from so they can assist you with crafting your story and obtaining quality photos and/or video for your submission.
The Petco Foundation will grant $750,000 in Holiday Wishes awards to winning animal welfare organizations while Petco will grant gift cards to the adopters in the amounts specified below:
One Grand Prize:
- $100,000 grant award for the animal welfare organization
- $1,000 Petco gift card for the adopter
Four 2nd Prize Winners:
- $50,000 grant award for the animal welfare organization
- $500 Petco gift card for the adopter
Eight 3rd Prize Winners:
- $25,000 grant award for the animal welfare organization
- $250 Petco gift card for the adopter
Twenty to Forty Runner-ups:
- $5,000 or $10,000 grant award for the animal welfare organization
- $50 Petco gift card
Some of the winning pets will also be featured in our Petco Foundation calendar, which is sold in Petco stores nationwide!
People's Choice Awards Competition
This is an opportunity for the public to vote on their favorite winning stores. This will give the winning organizations the chance to receive additional grant funding of up to $25,000. Following the announcement of the winning organizations in November, the public will have the chance to vote online via our Facebook poll for their favorite stories through the end of December (check website for dates). Top 5 Vote Recipients Will Receive:
- One (1) First Place: $25k
- Two (2) Second Place Winners: $10k each
- Two (2) Third Place Winners: $5k each
Voters must participate via the Facebook poll. Only one vote per Facebook profile will be recorded. Participating organizations will receive a tool kit to help them promote the competition.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Any person who has adopted a pet from an animal welfare organization in the United States can submit a story during the Holiday Wishes campaign. Please note that the pet must be currently living.
- Due to the large number of submissions anticipated, we are asking adopters to limit submissions to one story per household.
- You can submit a story that includes information about more than one pet but you must single out the name of one pet and the animal welfare organization you adopted him/her from.
- You can submit a story about any companion animal that you have adopted from an animal welfare organization.
- Petco employees are eligible to submit stories and win grant awards for their animal welfare organization, but are not eligible to receive the Petco gift card prizes.
- What qualifies as an animal welfare organization?
- The Petco Foundation grants funds to qualified animal welfare organizations based in the United States. Organizations include municipal or government animal shelters and nonprofit 501 (c) 3 organizations such as humane societies, SPCAs and foster-based rescues.
- Stories about the same pet are not eligible to win, however, we encourage prior winners to share stories about other pets that were not featured in the original winning story.
About this funder:
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Holiday Wishes Grant Campaign by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.