Horizon Foundation: Maine
Horizon FoundationSuggest an update
Grant amount: US $5,000 - US $20,000
Next anticipated deadline: Apr 1, 2020
Later anticipated deadlines: Oct 10, 2020
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, Project / Program, General Operating Expense
Location of project: Counties in Maine: Cumberland County, Franklin County, Lincoln County, York County
Location of residency: Counties in Maine: Cumberland County, Franklin County, Lincoln County, York CountyView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
Since its founding in 1997, Horizon Foundation has funded non-profit organizations that meet the mission goals in places where our trustees live and work. Grant funding concentrates on building organizational and community-wide effectiveness, developing opportunities, raising aspirations, and generally making a positive and lasting difference.
Horizon Foundation supports non-profit organizations that aspire to create and maintain sustainable, vibrant and resilient communities by:
- Enabling children and adults to lead their communities in creative, healthy and thoughtful ways;
- Educating citizens to be good stewards of the environment;
- Conserving land and water resources;
- Encouraging service to others;
- Promoting visual arts and music, and;
- Teaching appreciation of and preserving historic assets.
In Maine, Horizon's conservation funding will focus on ways in which the state's unique assets can be used to mitigate and adapt to climate change, including:
- Programs that seek ways for communities to become more resilient by increasing energy efficiency and weatherization and the use of renewable sources of energy;
- Efforts in support of policies that aim to reduce the use of fossil fuels and increase non-carbon energy source alternatives;
- Forest and farmland management practices that promote working forest conservation, efforts to preserve high-value open space, and management practices that maintain and improve water quality and enhance wildlife habitat.
Horizon generally will make grants in the $5,000 to $20,000 range, with an average grant size of about $12,500. While many grants will be for onetime projects, multi-year support will be considered. The Foundation will consider proposals for both challenge or matching grants, and encourages collaborative efforts with other grant makers.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- The Foundation can only consider requests from non-profit, 501(c)(3) organizations or projects that have a tax-exempt fiscal sponsor.
- Organizations must be based in or primarily serve one or more of the following communities:
- Maine - Cumberland, Lincoln, Franklin, or York County
- Horizon Foundation does not fund and will not consider applications from the following:
- Annual, building, capital, or endowment fund drives;
- Colleges and universities;
- Emergency requests;
- Health/mental health programs;
- International or foreign programs;
- Public and private schools;
- Religious projects; and/or
- State agencies.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Horizon Foundation: Maine by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.
Please wait while we load this grant.
Sorry, we're having trouble loading this grant.