Carville M. Akehurst Memorial Scholarship
Horticultural Research Institute
Grant amount: US $4,000
Anticipated deadline: Sep 7, 2019
Applicant type: Undergraduate Student Graduate Student
Funding uses: Scholarship
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: Maryland, Virginia, West VirginiaView website Save Need help writing this grant?
The Carville M. Akehurst Memorial Scholarship was established in 2002 by the Mid-Atlantic Nursery Trade Show, Inc. (MANTS). This scholarship serves to memorialize Mr. Akehurst who served the horticultural industry as one of the founders of MANTS. In addition to his thirty plus years as Executive Vice-President of MANTS, Mr. Akehurst serves as Executive Secretary of the Maryland Nursery and Landscape Association, the Maryland Nurserymen's Association Horticulture Research Foundation, Maryland Christmas Tree Growers, American Conifer Society, and Maryland Greenhouse Growers' Association.
MANTS, an association formed from the state nursery and landscape associations of Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia, has established this scholarship with the Horticultural Research Institute (HRI) with the belief that the strength and future success of the horticulture industry lies in the solid education of today's students. MANTS' establishment of this scholarship is a reflection of Mr. Akehurst's firm belief that education begets one the opportunity to achieve. Through this scholarship, MANTS will provide scholarship opportunity to qualified students to help ensure the continuity of the nursery and landscape profession.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Applicants must:
- Be a resident of one of the three MANTS member states: Maryland, Virginia, or West Virginia. Attendance at an institution within these states is not mandatory;
- Be enrolled in an accredited undergraduate or graduate landscape/horticulture program or related discipline at a two or four year institution;
- Be enrolled in good standing and carry a full-time course load at the time of application and during the semesters for which the scholarship is granted;
- Have a minimum grade point average overall of 2.7 based on a scale of 4.0, and a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a scale of 4.0 in their major; and
- Have at least a junior standing in a four-year curriculum or senior standing in a two-year curriculum as of the fall semester of scholarship application year.
- Previous Carville M. Akehurst Memorial Scholarship award winners are eligible for additional funding and may reapply for the scholarship.
- Preference will be given to applicants who plan to work within the industry (including nursery operation, landscape architecture/design/construction/maintenance, interiorscape, horticultural distribution, or retail garden center) following graduation.
- Students in vocational agriculture programs are not eligible.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Carville M. Akehurst Memorial Scholarship by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.