J. B. Owen Award
Tennessee Ornithological SocietySuggest an update
Grant amount: US $350 - US $750
Anticipated deadline: Jun 1, 2020
Applicant type: Nonprofit Individuals
Funding uses: Research, Education / Outreach, Project / Program
Location of project: Tennessee
Location of residency: United StatesView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
J. B. Owen (1916 - 2001) was a longtime TOS member and known to thousands in East Tennessee for his columns about birds in Knoxville newspapers. J. B. Owen was an active member of KTOS from 1947 until his death and was awarded the TOS Distinguished Service Award in 1990.
In recognition of his accomplishments, the Knoxville Chapter established the J. B. Owen Memorial Fund. An annual J.B. Owen Award is made by the Fund to support a project that promotes the welfare and conservation of birds in Tennessee. An annual award is made by the Fund in the expected amount of $350 to $750 to promote the study of birds in Tennessee through research, conservation, and environmental education.
The Fund was established in 2002 and to date has given out over $7,000 in awards to support such diverse projects as:
- research into the reproductive success and natal dispersal of American Kestrels;
- the study of the relationships between Cerulean Warblers and timber harvest;
- investigation of the potential impacts of hemlock decline on nesting Louisiana Waterthrushes in the Walker Valley;
- construction of an observation platform at Kyker Bottoms; and
- TWRA’s Golden Eagle tracking project.
Awards have gone to the Foothills Land Conservancy to acquire wetlands and establish conservation easements and to Ijams Nature Center and the Clinch River Raptor Center for their educational and rehabilitative work with injured raptors.
No matter how small or how extensive the project the J.B. Owen Award is open to anyone with a project that promotes the welfare and conservation of birds in Tennessee.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- No matter how small or how extensive the project the J.B. Owen Award is open to anyone with a project that promotes the welfare and conservation of birds in Tennessee.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the J. B. Owen Award by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.
Please wait while we load this grant.
Sorry, we're having trouble loading this grant.