Jeff Swanagan Memorial Scholarship
Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA)
Grant amount: Approximately US $1,200
Anticipated deadline: Jul 12, 2019 9:00pm PDT
Applicant type: Working Professional
Funding uses: Training / Capacity Building, Conference
Membership: Applicants must be a member of this organization to apply. Become a member.
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: Anywhere in the worldView website Save Need help writing this grant?
The late Jeff Swanagan was the Executive Director of the Columbus Zoo. His career was shaped by his experience as an educator, when he saw how deeply people were affected when they connected to the wonders of nature. Jeff had an unwavering belief that zoos and aquariums are about people as much as they are about animals. He knew that people visit zoos not just to see animals, but to spend time together. Jeff saw endless potential – both to touch the lives of people and to save the lives of animals. To capture this idea, he coined the phrase “touch the heart to teach the mind.” Simply getting people into the Zoo wasn’t enough – he wanted to inspire and engage them, to get them invested in each other, animals, and conservation. Jeff knew that without inspiring people, without touching their hearts, you cannot teach their minds nor hope to make the world a better place.
This scholarship is sponsored by the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium and offered in memory of Jeff Swanagan. The scholarship promotes Jeff Swanagan’s philosophy that you must “touch the heart to teach the mind.” This scholarship may be applied towards any of the AZA professional development courses.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Applicant must be an AZA individual member and employed at an AZA-accredited institution or AZA-certified facility.
- International members of AZA facilities are also welcome to apply. This scholarship is merit based.
- Within four months of attending the AZA Professional Training course, the recipient will submit to AZA an article describing how participating in the course helped them “touch the heart to teach the mind,” to will be published in an issue of CONNECT magazine.
- Only one scholarship application may be submitted per individual per year.
You must be a member of this organization to apply for this award - become a member. Applicant must be an AZA individual member.
- An individual cannot be awarded the same scholarship more than once.
- Those who received an AZA scholarship within the past three years will not be considered for this award.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Jeff Swanagan Memorial Scholarship by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.