John Edward Fowler Memorial Foundation Grants
John Edward Fowler Memorial FoundationSuggest an update
Grant amount: US $5,000 - US $10,000
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Capital Project, General Operating Expense, Applied Project / Program, Education / Outreach
Location of project: District of Columbia, Counties in Maryland: Montgomery County, Prince George's County, Counties in Virginia: Alexandria city, Arlington County, Fairfax County, Fairfax city Expand all
Location of residency: District of Columbia, Counties in Maryland: Montgomery County, Prince George's County, Counties in Virginia: Alexandria city, Arlington County, Fairfax County, Fairfax city Expand allView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
The John Edward Fowler Memorial Foundation was created in 1964 by Pearl Gunn Fowler in memory of her late husband, John Edward Fowler, a Northern Virginia businessman. In recent years the Foundation has awarded about $3 million in grants annually.
- Typically, first-time grants range between $5,000 and $10,000, depending on the nature and size of the applicant.
- Grants of $20,000 or more usually are reserved for long-time grantees with whom the Foundation has developed a relationship or for capital purpose grants (which are awarded only to prior grantees).
The Foundation is delighted to receive information about grantees’ activities and programs.
The Fowler Foundation prefers to focus its giving on empowering disadvantaged people and is particularly interested in funding organizations that are addressing the following issues:
- At-risk children and youth (pre-school through high school)
- Adult literacy
- Free medical care (prenatal to seniors)
- Seniors aging in place
- Job training and placement
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- The Foundation awards grants only to organizations headquartered in and providing services for residents of Washington, DC and the Maryland & Virginia suburbs that abut it.
- Smaller, grassroots, neighborhood-based organizations that derive at least 50% of their revenue from private sources tend to be more successful applicants.
- The Foundation prefers to award grants for operating support, but it accepts requests for project funding as well as facility purchase and improvements.
- Hands-on, direct service organizations are given preference over “umbrella” agencies.
- The Foundation looks for evidence of sound management, fiscal responsibility, and volunteer involvement.
- The Foundation does not award grants to national organizations, even if they serve the preferred communities.
- The Foundation prefers not to award grants to:
- national health organizations,
- government agencies, or
- public school/charters.
- It does not fund medical research or the arts, except for intensive arts-in-education programs that directly benefit at-risk children and youth.
- It does not sponsor events.
- Grantees may not apply for a new grant until at least 18 months after receipt of an award, and not until a final report has been submitted.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the John Edward Fowler Memorial Foundation Grants by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.