Knight Foundation Grant: Technology Program
John S. and James L. Knight FoundationSuggest an update
Grant amount: Unspecified amount
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Capital Project, Education / Outreach, Project / Program
Location of project: United States
Location of residency: United StatesView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
Knight Foundation is a national foundation with strong local roots. We invest in journalism, in the arts, and in the success of cities where brothers John S. and James L. Knight once published newspapers. Our goal is to foster informed and engaged communities, which we believe are essential for a healthy democracy.
Investing in innovation and seeking new solutions across all our programs.
What We Fund
Much as John S. and James L. Knight leveraged new technology to build their 20th-century newspaper group, we embrace the unprecedented potential of emerging 21st-century technologies to inform people and engage them in the civic and cultural life of their communities.
Our approach is to identify, explore and invest in technology approaches that have the greatest potential impact on the fields in which we work. We often support experiments in digital media, and reinvest in the most promising projects that emerge from early-stage grants.
Rather than operating as a separate program, staff with technology innovation expertise are part of each of our program areas, and seek to leverage advances across the foundation.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- We primarily fund U.S.-based organizations.
- Knight Foundation's Board of Trustees prefer not to fund:
- Requests for support of fundraising events.
- Requests to cover operating deficits.
- Charities operated by service clubs.
- Activities that are normally the responsibility of government (The foundation will, in selective cases, partner with government in supporting special projects.).
- Medical research; organizations or projects whose mission is to prevent, eradicate or alleviate the effects of a specific disease; requests from hospitals (unless they are for community-wide capital campaigns with a stated goal and beginning and ending dates, or for specific projects that meet foundation goals).
- Activities to propagate a religious faith or that are restricted to one religion or denomination; support of political candidates; memorials.
- International programs and organizations, except U.S.-based organizations supporting a free press around the world.
- A second request for a capital campaign for which the foundation previously approved a grant.
- Conferences; group travel; honoraria for distinguished guests—except in initiatives of the foundation in all three cases.
- The board and program staff remain open to ideas and opportunities and will exercise flexibility when needed.
- We do not pay indirect administrative fees to grantee organizations.
- We may make exceptions if you are providing a necessary service directly related to the grant.
- Based on the recommendation of program staff, on an case-by-case basis, we will consider indirect fee payments of up to 10 percent of a proposed grant.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Knight Foundation Grant: Technology Program by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.
Please wait while we load this grant.
Sorry, we're having trouble loading this grant.