KR Foundation Funding
KR FoundationSuggest an update
Grant amount: kr500,000 - kr5,000,000
Next anticipated deadline: Jan 9, 2020 (Letter of inquiry)
Later anticipated deadlines: Jan 16, 2020 4:00am PST (Letter of inquiry)
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, Applied Project / Program
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: Anywhere in the worldView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
NOTE: To apply:
- STEP 1 is to submit a Project Summary.
- KR Foundation will respond as soon as possible and no later than 10 work days after having received the project summary.
- If the Foundation finds that the project may be eligible for funding, the applicant will be invited to submit a Letter of Inquiry (LOI).
- Note: It is only possible to submit an LOI if invited to STEP 2.
- While there is no formal deadline for submitting the project summary, responses are not guaranteed for submissions made after 9 January 2019.
- The deadline for submitting the LOI (STEP 2) is 16 January 2019 at 13.00 CET.
KR Foundation addresses root causes of climate change and environmental degradation, and safeguards the planetary boundaries.
The mission of KR Foundation is to help provide answers to, stimulate mind shifts about, and encourage action on, the long-term challenges faced by current and future generations living on a planet with finite resources, fragile ecosystems, and climate change.
As a philanthropic foundation, KR Foundation typically engages in areas where neither governments nor markets actors seem to have incentives to act. Not restricted by short-term considerations and profit concerns, KR Foundation engages in non-profit activities with long-term impact on our climate and environment.
KR Foundation prioritises communication and advocacy activities within our program areas but will also consider proposals in other areas with a high potential for impact that meet our general criteria for funding.
Sustainable Behaviour - Catalysts for Change
KR Foundation focuses on addressing the root causes of climate change: within sustainable behaviour, this currently means supporting strong sustainability interventions that significantly reduce consumption impacts, whether through addressing culture, infrastructure or policies. The program area also focuses on interventions that strengthen our common intrinsic, benevolent values, in ways which promote pro-environmental mind-sets, behaviour changes and active citizenship.
Projects funded in this program area should have the potential to quickly reduce the impacts from consumption that exceeds planetary boundaries, by shifting society away from high-impact behaviour, or influencing the determinants of unsustainable ways of living. Projects may also focus on the positive role that citizens and communities play in mitigating climate change, for example through advocacy, community organising and communicating the possibilities for positive change.
- Initiating transformational communications
- Promoting policy acceptance for the transformational change
- Creating social norms for sustainable behavior
Sustainable Finance – Keeping Fossil Fuels in the Ground
In order to avert dangerous climate change and environmental degradation, most of the known fossil fuel reserves must remain in the ground. Yet, the existing financial system is driving the production and consumption of fossil fuels to unsustainable levels.
KR Foundation focuses on addressing the root causes of climate change: within sustainable finance, this currently means supporting interventions that aim to shift financial incentives (such as investments, subsidies, taxes, regulation, etc.) away from fossil fuel production and consumption.
KR Foundation invites proposals for activities aimed at keeping fossil fuels in the ground. Such activities could be related to:
- Stranded assets and un-burnable fossil fuel reserves;
- Financial incentives to keep fossil fuels in the ground;
- Strategic communication around the need for keeping fossil fuels in the ground;
- The role of private investors in reducing funding for fossil fuel companies;
- International agreements on phasing out fossil fuel subsidies in G20 and other fora;
- The role of fossil fuel subsidies in trade agreements;
- The role of public finance that directly or indirectly supports fossil fuel production and consumption.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- KR Foundation address root causes of climate change and environmental degradation, through supporting activities that:
- provide scalable solutions with a clear international perspective and a significant impact
- have a holistic and interdisciplinary approach, including activities that aim to change mind-sets and behaviour
- have convening power, facilitate cooperation between key stakeholders and help to link existing research and knowledge to action
- help catalyze desired political processes at an international level and support new leadership (top-down approach) as well as activities aiming to communicate and create awareness (bottom-up approach)
- take risks and potentially contribute to transformative and systemic change, and challenge conventional wisdom by exploring alternative and creative approaches
- Please note that KR Foundation does not fund local and community-based activities unless they are truly scalable and have a clear international perspective.
- Proposals focusing on local development activities will not be considered.
- KR Foundation does not support:
- Issues other than climate change and environmental degradation
- For-profit organizations and activities
- Candidates for political office
- Individual government organizations at the national, regional or local level, including provincial and city administrations
- Individuals, e.g. scholarships
- Capital construction or endowment campaigns
- Establishing new organizations, institutes or centers with KR Foundation as sole funder
- Local and community-based activities that are not scalable and that do not have an international perspective, including development projects in developing countries
- Clean energy solutions and market ready solutions, including energy efficiency in buildings
- Nature conservation projects, including projects focused on single species
- In the sustainable behaviour program area, KR Foundation does not accept proposals relating to:
- Sustainable production and business models, including circular economy
- Labelling and consumer information campaigns
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the KR Foundation Funding by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.