L’Oréal USA For Women in Science Fellowship
Grant amount: US $60,000
Anticipated deadline: Feb 2, 2019
Applicant type: Postdoctoral Researcher
Funding uses: Fellowship
Location of project: United States
Location of residency: United States
Location of citizenship: United States, Puerto Rico
Gender restriction: Female
Degree requirements: Applicants must be within a few years of receiving their PhDView website Save Need help writing this grant?
From life-saving vaccines to sustainable energy development, science is making the world better for everyone. We know that jobs in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) are the jobs of tomorrow, but today, women only make up 24 percent of STEM workers in the United States, only 14 percent of the country’s engineers and 27 percent of computer science professionals. Without appropriate female representation, the potential STEM innovations of tomorrow will be missing half of the talent in our world.
Innovation has been at the core of L’Oréal’s business since the company was founded by a visionary scientist more than 100 years ago, and quite simply, we depend on the contributions women make in the field every day. In fact, 70% of L’Oréal’s scientists and innovators are women. The For Women in Science program was created out of a simple belief: the world needs science, and science needs women.
The L’Oréal USA For Women in Science fellowship program awards five women postdoctoral scientists annually with grants for their contributions in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fields and commitment to serving as role models for younger generations. The program is the U.S. component of the L'Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science International Fellowships program. Celebrating its thirteenth year in the U.S., the For Women in Science program has awarded 65 postdoctoral women scientists over $3 million in grants.
L’Oréal USA partners with the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) to manage the program’s application and peer-review process. Each year, the program attracts talented applicants from diverse STEM fields, representing some of the nation’s leading academic institutions and laboratories.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- The eligibility criteria are as follows:
- Must have a conferred PhD and have started in a postdoctoral research position by application deadline.
- Must maintain the status of postdoctoral researcher throughout the fellowship year
- Must be American born, naturalized citizen or permanent resident
- Must be affiliated with a U.S. based academic or research institution
- Must plan to conduct their postdoctoral studies and research in the U.S.
- Must be involved in basic research in the:
- life and physical/material sciences
- engineering & technology
- computer science and
- Additional eligible areas of study include:
- all areas of chemistry
- earth science and
- medical research
- Must commit to at least twenty hours of activity in support of women and girls in science (e.g. mentoring, classroom visits, media, events)
- Must be available the week of October 30, 2017 for the For Women in Science Awards Week
- The award is intended to support the applicant’s research project and provide career advancement.
- Fellowship funds should be used to support tuition fees, attendance at meetings and conferences, laboratory supplies, publications costs, computer and technical support, equipment and instruments.
- Candidates holding any other degree, including M.D. and D.V.M., are not eligible.
- Psychology, science education and social science are not eligible for this Fellowship.
- Applicants who hold any faculty positions are not eligible.
- Indirect or fringe costs are not permitted including health insurance, rent, utilities, university overhead, etc
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the L’Oréal USA For Women in Science Fellowship by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.