LGBTQ COVID-19 Response Emergency Fund
Horizons FoundationSuggest an update
Grant amount: US $2,500 - US $20,000
Fields of work: Disaster Relief / Humanitarian Aid Sexuality & LGBTQ Rights LGBTQI Services
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: General Operating Expense
Location of project: Counties in California: Alameda County, Contra Costa County, Marin County, Napa County, San Francisco County, San Mateo County, Santa Clara County, Solano County, Sonoma County Show all
Location of residency: Counties in California: Alameda County, Contra Costa County, Marin County, Napa County, San Francisco County, San Mateo County, Santa Clara County, Solano County, Sonoma County Show allView website Save
COVID-19 and the Bay Area LGBTQ Community
The COVID-19 pandemic presents unprecedented challenges throughout the SF Bay Area and the nation, as well as in the Bay Area’s LGBTQ community.
These challenges come in the form of threats to the health and well-being of hundreds of thousands of LGBTQ people living in the nine Bay Area counties, including those most at risk for COVID-19-related illness. The pandemic and related economic shutdowns also threaten to overwhelm the capacity of critical LGBTQ community nonprofits, as well as pose near- and long-term financial hardship.
We are community. And at Horizons, we will continue to be in community with you throughout this crisis and far beyond.
Horizons is making available $275,000 in immediate funding for LGBTQ organizations through our LGBTQ COVID-19 Response Emergency Fund.
Horizons seeks to advance two major goals through this Fund:
To help Bay Area LGBTQ nonprofit organizations respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, especially to support individuals, couples, and families impacted by the pandemic and those in vulnerable and underserved parts of the community.
To help maintain our community’s critical nonprofit and service infrastructure by providing immediate financial support to LGBTQ organizations that play especially critical roles in that infrastructure.
General Focus Areas
Horizons seeks to support LGBTQ-primary organizations that directly serve substantial numbers of
LGBTQ people at-risk for COVID-19, especially vulnerable and frequently underserved populations. We seek to support LGBTQ-primary organizations that play especially central roles in specific geographical areas of the SF Bay Area (e.g., a community center serving a specific county or area).
Horizons has established two overall focus areas for the LGBTQ COVID-19 Response Emergency Fund
LGBTQ-primary organizations engaged in specific COVID-19-responsive programming, including (but not
- Supporting low-wage LGBTQ workers
- Reducing social isolation, especially among LGBTQ seniors
- Reducing food and/or housing insecurity among LGBTQ individuals
CRITICAL NEAR-TERM ORGANIZATIONAL FINANCIAL NEED
- LGBTQ-primary organizations that are experiencing clear and critical near-term financial challenges due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We are aware that every LGBTQ organization has concerns about funding at this time. This focus area is not, however, intended to respond to more general future funding concerns.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- To be eligible for an LGBTQ COVID-19 Response Emergency Fund grant, your organization must:
- Be a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) organization, or provide documentation that the organization is fiscally sponsored by an organization that has 501(c)(3) status
- Be an LGBTQ-primary organization (defined as an organization whose mission includes the LGBTQ population as a primary focus of the work; whose staff and board predominantly reflect the LGBTQ community; and which primarily serves LGBTQ people)
- Request support for an organization within one or more of these counties: Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano, Sonoma
- Address all sections of the application
- Please note that Horizons cannot make grants directly to individuals.