Liberty Mutual Grant
Liberty Mutual Foundation
Education / Outreach, General Operating Expense, Applied Project / Program, Capital Project
Location of project:
Suffolk County, Massachusetts, Dallas County, Texas, King County, Washington
Location of residency:
Need help writing this grant?
Established in 2003, the Liberty Mutual Foundation supports the communities in which we live and work. In partnership with our grantees, our common purpose is: To invest the expertise, leadership and the financial strength of Liberty Mutual Insurance and its employees to improve the lives of our most vulnerable neighbors.
Our grants help nonprofits that work to empower families and individuals who are struggling to thrive despite challenging situations. To that end, our grant-making priorities focus on organizations and programs in Boston that provide accessibility for individuals of all abilities; security for men, women and children who are homeless; and educational opportunities for children and youth who are living in poverty.
We strive to give nonprofit organizations the flexibility they need. Therefore, the Liberty Mutual Foundation makes single and multi-year program grants, supplemented by occasional capital and operating support. Discretionary proposals (RFP) are accepted on a rolling basis.
Liberty Mutual invests much of its funding in youth. Priority is given to programs serving children and teenagers.
Low-Income Families and Individuals
The Foundation favors organizations and programs that deliver basic human services and that create opportunities for self-sufficiency for low-income individuals and families.
People with Disabilities
Liberty Mutual Foundation favors organizations and programs that accommodate people of all abilities -- without restrictions or limitations -- as they pursue their goals in education, health, housing, employment, and all other activities of daily life.
For programs serving children and youth with disabilities, areas of interest include early intervention, K-12 education, health care, family resources and support, assistive technology, out of school time, and cross-cutting issues such as bullying, inclusion, mentoring and transitions to adulthood. In addition, Liberty Mutual invites proposals to enhance efforts to prepare youth with disabilities for the workplace.
Liberty Mutual gives priority to educational programs that encourage disadvantaged youth to excel academically and create opportunities for life-long success through learning.
Health and Human Services
Liberty Mutual Foundation favors organizations and programs that are committed to improving the quality of life and safety in our communities.
Types of Support
General Operating Support
General operating funds are considered for agencies whose missions closely align with Liberty Mutual Foundation's.
Organizations with missions that are not educational or health and safety-related are encouraged to request specific project funding relevant to the programmatic thrust and priorities of our philanthropy program.
Support for universities, colleges and medical institutions is directed primarily to capital campaigns conducted for the institution as a whole, not to individual programs or departments.
Less frequently, the Foundation provides funding to capital campaigns of other organizations, when their mission is closely aligned to that of the Liberty Mutual Foundation.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Your organization must be a public charity that is non-profit and tax-exempt under 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Your request must fall within one of these four primary focus areas:
- Health and Human Services
- Arts and Culture
- Civic and Community
- Your organization or your program must serve Boston.
- You must not have received a grant from us in the past 12 months.
- Our goal is to invest in leadership that is responsible. To that end, we give preference to nonprofit organizations with these attributes:
- solid financials
- clearly articulated systems for measuring impact
- a strong board and staff
- thoughtful strategic plans and budgets
- Sponsorship requests are not considered through the Liberty Mutual Foundation.
- Liberty Mutual does not provide philanthropic support for:
- Foundations that are primarily grant-making agencies
- Organizations requesting funds for sectarian activities
- Fraternal, social, labor or political organizations
- Trips, tours and transportation
- Deficit spending or debt liquidation
- Conferences, forums or special events
- Organizations that have applied within the past 12 months
- Non-functionally integrated supporting organizations as classified by the IRS
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Liberty Mutual Grant by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.