Corporate Responsibility - Local Focus Grants: Cycle 1
USAA FoundationSuggest an update
Grant amount: US $5,000 - US $25,000
Anticipated deadline: Feb 15, 2020
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, Project / Program
Location of project: Maricopa County, Arizona, El Paso County, Colorado, Hillsborough County, Florida, Clark County, Nevada, Counties in Texas: Bexar County, Collin County, Comal County, Dallas County, Denton County, Kaufman County, Medina County, Rockwall County, Chesapeake city, Virginia Show all
Location of residency: Maricopa County, Arizona, El Paso County, Colorado, Hillsborough County, Florida, Clark County, Nevada, Counties in Texas: Bexar County, Collin County, Comal County, Dallas County, Denton County, Kaufman County, Medina County, Rockwall County, Chesapeake city, Virginia Show allView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
Serving Needs in Our Local Communities
We believe being a good corporate citizen is more than bringing jobs to the communities we serve—it's about making our communities better places to live.
We address local needs in communities where USAA has a physical location with a significant employee presence. These communities include:
- San Antonio, Texas
- Chesapeake, Virginia
- Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Dallas, Texas
- Phoenix, Arizona
- Tampa, Florida
Through investments of time and financial support, we are honored to continue a longtime tradition of making a difference in our local communities and in the military community at-large.
Grant Focus (CYCLE 1)
We invest in programs that help students learn to make informed financial decisions early in life and generate interest and proficiency in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM).
- Occupations requiring STEM skills are projected to grow to more than 9 million by 2022.
- Students with STEM proficiency help enhance U.S. competitiveness.
- Investments in financial literacy and STEM education yield long-term benefits to our local communities as well as to individual students.
- Programs designed to help youth understand the concepts and challenges of basic personal finance
- Invest in proven programs to build a pipeline of STEM-capable students
- Opportunities to bring STEM diversity (girls, minorities)
- STEM/Financial Literacy professional development for educators
Safety and Natural Disaster Response
We support programs that teach safety and disaster preparation skills and help individuals and families recover when a natural disaster strikes their community.
- Eight of the 10 most costly U.S. natural disasters in recorded history have occurred since 2004.5
- Severe thunderstorms, hailstorms and flooding accounted for the most costly U.S. weather events in the first half of 2016, followed by severe winter storms.
- Most insurance models predict natural disasters in the U.S. will occur more frequently in the coming years.
- Loss mitigation programs that promote life safety and prevent property damage from natural disasters
- Safe driving programs
- Programs that enable military community to volunteer in response to natural disasters
- Support for community recovery after a natural disaster
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- All organizations must be designated a 501(c)3 non-profit organization by the IRS and be in good standing.
- Must be formally organized
- Must exist for charitable purpose
- Must never distribute profits.
- Please note all of the above criteria on tax exempt status must be met in order to be eligible to apply for a grant
- Our focus areas are addressed at the local level in communities where USAA has a physical location and significant employee presence. These communities include:
- San Antonio, Texas
- Dallas, Texas
- Chesapeake, Va.
- Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Las Vegas, Nev.
- Phoenix, Ariz.
- Tampa, Fla.
- Financial Center Locations
- Ineligible Types of Charitable Contribution Requests
- Because of our focus, we cannot support every worthy request we receive. USAA and The USAA Foundation, Inc., do not provide financial support for unsolicited requests for any of the following:
- Donations to individuals or groups not associated with a 501(c)(3) nonprofit designation
- Scholarships to specific individuals
- Medical research
- Capital campaigns or projects
- Military focused museum exhibits, monuments, memorials, statues or similar displays
- Lobbying, political or fraternal activities
- Organizations that provide services primarily to animals
- Facility construction, building enhancements or refurbishment
- Books, films, audio, video, documentaries or other media productions
- Golf tournaments
- Races or parades
- Beauty pageants
- Athletic or sports teams
- Recreational events
- Care packages
- Solicitation of USAA employees
- Travel to competitions or events
- USAA and The USAA Foundation, Inc., (the “Foundation”) reserves the right not to support or contribute funds to any non-profit organization that denies service or assistance to anyone on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
- Requests for contributions to religious institutions (for example, churches, mosques, synagogues or other houses of worship or related ecumenical groups) will be denied.
- Programs of faith based organizations such as soup kitchens, shelters for the homeless or job banks sponsored by (for example, financial, material or volunteer support) or located within a faith-based organization’s or religious institution’s facilities may be eligible for contributions if it is determined that the program does not require beneficiaries to learn about, adhere to, or convert to the faith doctrine.
- Out-of-scope activities:
- STEM Learning & Financial Literacy
- Arts and museums
- Non-STEM and financial literacy topics
- College scholarships
- Private and out-of-district charter schools
- Safety & Natural Disaster Response
- Police and fire department programs
- General consumer safety programs
- Car seats / cribs
- Terrorism / human-made disasters
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Corporate Responsibility - Local Focus Grants: Cycle 1 by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.
Please wait while we load this grant.
Sorry, we're having trouble loading this grant.