MDSG Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program
Maryland Sea GrantSuggest an update
Anticipated deadline: Feb 14, 2021
Grant amount: More than US $6,000
Fields of work: Marine Biology Climatology Environmental Chemistry & Toxicology Oceanography Fisheries Marine/Ocean Conservation
Applicant type: Undergraduate Student
Funding uses: Conference, Research
Location of project: Maryland
Location of residency: United StatesView website Save
Each summer, Maryland Sea Grant’s Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program supports fifteen students to conduct marine research on the Chesapeake Bay. It’s a special opportunity to develop your research skills and interests by working with top scientists to study one of America’s most significant coastal resources.
The REU program, funded by the National Science Foundation, is designed for students majoring in:
- Marine science.
- Environmental science.
During the 12-week program, each student works with a mentor on an individual research project at one of the two marine labs at the University of Maryland Center for Environmental Sciences located on the Chesapeake Bay:
Research areas include:
- Estuarine processes.
- Benthic environment.
- Climate change.
- Physical oceanography.
- Molecular biology and genetics.
- Environmental chemistry.
- Submerged aquatic vegetation.
- Modeling and analysis.
Each REU fellow will receive a stipend of $6,000, housing costs, and round-trip travel expenses.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- Students must have completed at least two years of study towards (but not yet completed) a bachelor’s degree.
- Preference is given to students who are rising seniors.
- Students with five semesters of coursework are much better prepared for the summer REU research experience.
- Students from underrepresented groups and institutions with limited research opportunities are especially encouraged to apply.
- A student who has already had an REU Fellowship will not be considered for another one.
- There are exceptions to this rule, and each decision will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Want to discover new grants?
See how we help our customers save time and find new funding by trying out Instrumentl for 14-days free or learn more.
“This is the best foundation match & grant tracking tool I've used in my many years of fundraising.”