MDSG Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program
Maryland Sea GrantSuggest an update
Grant amount: US $6,000
Anticipated deadline: Feb 15, 2020
Applicant type: Undergraduate Student
Funding uses: Conference, Research
Location of project: Maryland
Location of residency: United StatesView website Save Need help writing this grant?
Each summer, Maryland Sea Grant’s Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program supports fifteen students to conduct marine research on the Chesapeake Bay. It’s a special opportunity to develop your research skills and interests by working with top scientists to study one of America’s most significant coastal resources.
The REU program, funded by the National Science Foundation, is designed for students majoring in:
- Marine science
- Environmental science
During the 12-week program, each student works with a mentor on an individual research project at one of the two marine labs at the University of Maryland Center for Environmental Sciences located on the Chesapeake Bay:
Research areas include:
- Estuarine processes
- Benthic environment
- Climate change
- Physical oceanography
- Molecular biology and genetics
- Environmental chemistry
- Submerged aquatic vegetation
- Modeling and analysis
Each REU fellow will receive a stipend of $6,000, housing costs and round-trip travel expenses.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents
- Students must have completed at least two years of study towards (but not yet completed) a bachelor’s degree.
- Preference is given to students who are rising seniors.
- Students with five semesters of coursework are much better prepared for the summer REU research experience.
- Students from underrepresented groups and institutions with limited research opportunities are especially encouraged to apply.
- A student who has already had an REU Fellowship will not be considered for another one.
- There are exceptions to this rule, and each decision will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the MDSG Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.
Please wait while we load this grant.
Sorry, we're having trouble loading this grant.