MASTS Postdoctoral and Early Career Researcher Exchanges (PECRE)
Marine Alliance for Science and Technology for ScotlandSuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to £7,500
Applicant type: Postdoctoral Researcher PhD Student
Funding uses: Research
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: United Kingdom
Degree requirements: Applicants must be within 4 years of receiving their PhDView website Save Need help writing this grant?
A major objective of MASTS is to enhance the Scottish marine research environment through improved co-ordination and collaboration. To achieve this, the MASTS Executive Committee has established three major research themes under which to organise the research of the MASTS community. These themes also strongly reflect the Marine Policy of the Scottish Government.
Each Research Theme is led by an elected Theme Leader and an appointed Steering Group with the collective responsibility of promoting scientific excellence and cooperation within the Theme. Themes will have strategic oversight of Forums and be responsible for high level representation, networking and horizon scanning
MASTS is involved in a number of funding mechanisms. This includes the MASTS funded the Post-doctoral and Early Career Researcher Exchange (PECRE).
The main purpose of this funding is to support postdoctoral and early career researcher* exchanges with Europe, North America, China and India. Each exchange must be for a minimum of one month. Individuals from MASTS funded Institutions are invited to submit a funding application for eligible costs (restricted to economy travel and subsistence).
Each PECRE application can be for a maximum of £7,500. Eligible costs are restricted to economy travel and subsistence at the agreed institutional rate. PECRE awards are only available to MASTS HEI members.
*Definition of an early career researcher: "a postgraduate (doctoral) student OR a postdoctoral researcher early in their career. 'Early' in the latter case should be read to be consistent with the REF usage: someone who first undertook independent research within the last four years or so"
Definition of independent researcher: An individual who undertakes self-directed research, rather than carrying out another individual ‘s research programme. Includes postdoctoral staff who are:
- Leading or acting as principal investigator or equivalent on an externally funded research project
- Holding an independently won, competitively awarded fellowship where research independence is a requirement (illustrative list here )
- Acting as a co-investigator on an externally funded research project (e.g. leading a work package or equivalent)
- Leading a research group or substantial work package
- Significant input into the design, conduct and interpretation of the research
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Individuals from MASTS funded Institutions are eligible to apply.
- Only postdoctoral and early career researcher can apply for this exchange program.
- Definition of an early career researcher: "a postgraduate (doctoral) student OR a postdoctoral researcher early in their career. 'Early' in the latter case should be read to be consistent with the REF usage: someone who first undertook independent research within the last four years or so"
- Each exchange must be for a minimum of one month.
- The exchange must satisfy the aims and objectives of MASTS.
- Eligible costs are restricted to economy travel and subsistence at the agreed institutional rate.
- Selection criteria will include:
- evidence of the ability of the candidate (output, leadership);
- likely benefits to the research of the candidate (new skills, techniques likely to be acquired) as a result of the exchange;
- likely benefits to the longer term career of the Postgraduate or Early Career Researcher as a result of the exchange;
- evidence of wider benefits to MASTS as a result of the exchange; and
- prospects of sustained collaboration as a result of the exchange.
- The costs of the research are not eligible.
- The funding must not be used for attendance at conferences, training seminars and the like.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the MASTS Postdoctoral and Early Career Researcher Exchanges (PECRE) by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.