Matson Foundation Charitable Donations
Matson FoundationSuggest an update
Grant amount: Unspecified amount
Fields of work: Community Culture & Heritage Marine/Ocean Conservation Health & Medicine Renewable/Sustainable Energy Human & Social Services Art & Culture Education - Higher Education Volunteerism & Philanthropy Education - K through 12 Community/Public Safety Environmental Education Education - Preschool / Early Learning Library Services Civic Affairs Show all
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, Project / Program
Location of project: Australia; Cook Islands; Fiji; Micronesia, Federated States Of; Nauru; New Zealand; Samoa; Solomon Islands; Tonga; Alaska; American Samoa; Guam; Hawaii; Counties in California: Alameda County; Contra Costa County; Los Angeles County; Marin County; Napa County; San Francisco County; San Mateo County; Santa Clara County; Solano County; Sonoma County; Counties in Washington: Island County; Jefferson County; King County; Kitsap County; Pierce County; San Juan County; Skagit County; Snohomish County; Thurston County; Whatcom County Show all
Location of residency: Australia; Cook Islands; Fiji; Micronesia, Federated States Of; Nauru; New Zealand; Samoa; Solomon Islands; Tonga; United States; American Samoa; Guam Show allView website Save
Matson, Inc. established the Matson Foundation to administer all of the company’s corporate giving programs. The Matson Foundation contributes funds, material goods and services to assist in the development and operation of not-for-profit, charitable and community organizations in the geographic locations in which Matson has business operations.
“One of the pillars of Matson’s corporate culture has been a long-standing tradition of community involvement based upon a desire to improve the quality of life where we do business and where our employees live and work,” said Matt Cox, chairman and CEO of Matson, Inc.
Areas of Interest
Matson supports a wide range of community needs. Areas of interest include maritime environment and ocean resource conservation, education, human services, culture and arts, and civic and community programs.
In addition to cash donations, Matson Giving provides sponsorship support for fundraising events or activities that benefit a worthy cause.
Our Priorities/Areas of Interest
While we seek to support a wide range of community needs, donations will generally be made to charitable non-profits that have the greatest opportunity for positively affecting the communities Matson serves and are focused in one of the following categories:
- Maritime environment and ocean resource conservation, energy
- Education, via schools (pre-school through university), including STEM programs and transportation careers training and development, and via matching gifts from eligible donors
- Human services: such as community health & safety needs; national health organizations and United Way partner agencies
- Culture & Arts: cultural and learning centers/libraries, cultural identity, historic presence
- Civic and community programs (e.g. volunteerism, clean-ups, events and projects)
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- In order to be eligible for a donation, your organization must be a qualified charity or non-profit community organization.
- The Matson Foundation will consider all qualified non-profit organizations that meet our guidelines.
- Generally, only one donation will be given in a calendar year to any non-profit organization.
- We will prioritize donations to organizations or programs which:
- serve the communities in which Matson has, or anticipates having, a significant presence or which enhance business development opportunities for the company;
- are actively supported by Matson employees;
- are cost-effective and likely to be sustainable;
- have plans for measurable results.
- Donations will not be made to or on behalf of individuals or to support political activities or organizations established to primarily influence legislation.
- We are unlikely to contribute to endowments.
- Matson will not make automatic annual contributions to any organization.
- With rare exception, Matson does not wish to be the sole funder.
- In order to ensure compliance with the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, the Matson Foundation cannot give a donation to an organization located outside of the United States unless the following criteria are met:
- It has been determined that Matson, Inc. and its subsidiaries have no matters awaiting decision by any foreign government or official having an interest in the organization.
- The Matson Foundation has obtained the prior written approval of the Chief Legal Officer or the Controller of Matson, Inc.