Frances Hollis Brain Foundation Fund Grant
Maine Community FoundationSuggest an update
Grant amount: US $2,500 - US $10,000
Next deadline: Apr 9, 2019 8:59pm PDT (Pre proposal)
Later deadlines: May 21, 2019 8:59pm PDT (Full proposal)
Applicant type: Indigenous Group Government Entity Nonprofit
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, Applied Project / Program
Location of project: Counties in Maine: Androscoggin County, Cumberland County, Sagadahoc County, York County
Location of residency: MaineView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
The Frances Hollis Brain Foundation Fund is a donor-advised fund of the Maine Community Foundation that supports nonprofit organizations and projects that serve disadvantaged, underserved and/or vulnerable communities.
David and Frances Brain established the Frances Hollis Brain Foundation in 1993 as a tangible expression of their values. Through the foundation, they sought with their family to address their social concerns and encourage future generations of the family to contribute to the well-being of their communities in Maine, Georgia, and Kentucky. Grantmaking in Maine will be made through the Maine Community Foundation beginning in 2017.
Types of Support
The Frances Hollis Brain Foundation Fund supports IRS-designated tax-exempt charitable organizations in the following areas:
- Early childhood care and education (defined as ages 0-8)
- Extended day learning (after-school and summer learning programs)
- Health care
- Community clinics and safety net providers
- Oral health initiatives
- Hunger prevention and food security
- Homelessness alleviation
- Legal services connected with the above areas
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Who is eligible to apply:
- Nonprofit 501(c)(3) federal tax-exempt organizations, including most municipalities
- Public schools
- Public agencies working for the State of Maine
- Indian tribal governments (or political subdivisions) recognized by the Department of the Interior
- Non-exempt groups with a fiscal sponsor that is a 501(c)(3) organization, public school, or public agency.
- Geographic areas: The fund makes grants to nonprofit organizations that focus on individuals who live in Greater Portland, Lewiston/Auburn, Bath/Brunswick, Biddeford/Saco/Sanford, or those that have a statewide mission.
- Priority will be given to organizations and projects that:
- support the underserved, the disadvantaged or those who do not have the resources to provide for themselves
- have a broad base of community support, and
- demonstrate effectiveness.
- What we will not fund, without exception:
- Expenses already incurred
- Political campaigns
- Lobbying in the form of calls to action on a specific vote
- Religious activities: including, but not limited to, religious services, promotion of religious beliefs, or activities that are restricted to church or religious group membership
- The fund will not provide funding to individuals, for annual fund appeals, tickets to charitable events, endowments, or for political purposes.
- The fund typically does not support grant proposals that require a multi-year commitment.
- The fund will not award a grant to the same organization in two consecutive years.
- Organizations that have received a prior grant from the fund are not eligible to submit a new application until the fund has received a written report on the results of previous grant awards.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Frances Hollis Brain Foundation Fund Grant by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.