Program & General Operating Support
McInerny FoundationSuggest an update
Grant amount: US $4,000 - US $200,000
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, General Operating Expense, Project / Program
Location of project: Hawaii
Location of residency: HawaiiView website Save
About this funder:
The McInerny Foundation is one of the largest charitable foundations in the State of Hawai‘i. Its funds originated from the estates of twin brothers, William and James McInerny, and their older sister, Ella McInerny, whose wealth was generated in large part by a distinguished clothing establishment in the city of Honolulu.
Today, McInerny Foundation is honored for its generous contributions to education and social services to which most of their grantmaking is allocated, while the balance of their funding is distributed for arts and culture, health, environment, and other projects.
Fields of Interest
- Arts & Culture
- Human Services
Program Support: Support is provided for programs and projects that better the lives of individuals and families in the state of Hawaii.
General Operating Support: Support is usually provided to organizations having an established relationship with the Foundation.
Board of Directors
In order to be successful in accomplishing its purposes, a charitable organization generally must have community and business support, rather than relying solely on foundations or government funding. For this reason the Distribution Committee pays particular attention to how active members of an organization’s Board of Directors are in carrying out their responsibilities to the organization.
Some other factors considered in reviewing a proposal are:
- the community’s need for the proposed program or project in relation to other similar activities;
- reasonableness of the project’s income/expenditure budget;
- ability of the applicant to obtain entire funding and sustain the proposed project.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Organizations must be exempt from federal taxes under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and be classified as a public charity.
- The Distribution Committee will accept only one request a year from an organization.
- McInerny Foundation has long required that all (100%) directors make a personal annual financial contribution, at some level, to the support of the organization; in addition to participating in fundraising activities.
- Directors are also required to attend Board meetings, volunteer work when needed, and make significant efforts to gain community and business support.
- Generally, the Foundation prefers to be one of several contributors to an activity, expecting the applicant to acquire needed funds from several sources to assure the continuation of the activity in the future.
- Although the Trust is broad-purposed, it does not make grants to churches or individuals, nor for endowments, reserve purposes, deficit financing, or for the purchase of real estate.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Program & General Operating Support by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.