Metropolitan Edison Company Sustainable Energy Fund - Grant Requests
Berks County Community Foundation
Grant amount: Up to US $50,000
Applicant type: For-Profit Business Government Entity Nonprofit Individuals
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, Applied Project / Program, Research
Location of project: Counties in Pennsylvania: Adams County, Berks County, Chester County, Cumberland County, Dauphin County, Lancaster County, Lebanon County, Lehigh County, Monroe County, Montgomery County, Northampton County, Pike County, York County Expand all
Location of residency: United StatesView website Save Need help writing this grant?
Note: Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, except applications are not accepted during the month of April.
Metropolitan Edison Company Sustainable Energy Fund
First Energy established the Metropolitan Edison Company Sustainable Energy Fund (Met Ed Region) within Berks County Community Foundation in 2000 with an initial contribution of $5,700,000.
While the fund is a component fund of Berks County Community Foundation, it is dedicated to serving the entire Met Ed service territory.
A limited number of grants are available each year for specific purposes. The majority of funding available from the Metropolitan Edison Company Sustainable Energy Fund is in the form of investments made in businesses that are pursuing one or more of the fund’s purposes.
The Sustainable Energy Funds were created as a result of electric utility deregulation and subsequent settlement agreements by Pennsylvania Electric Utilities.
The funds are designed to promote the development of sustainable and renewable energy programs and clean-air technologies on both a regional and statewide basis.
Purpose of the Met Ed Fund:
- Promote the development and use of renewable energy and clean energy technologies.
- Promote the promotion of energy conservation and efficiency.
- Promote the development of sustainable energy businesses.
- Promote the projects that improve the environment in the companies’ service territories, as defined by their relationship to the companies’ transmission and distribution facilities .
Projects that will be considered
The following types of projects are eligible for grants from the funds:
- Projects that educate power users in the Met Ed region about renewable energy, the importance of energy conservation and/or energy conservation methods.
- Projects that will improve the environment within the Met Ed service territory, relative to the transmission and distribution facilities of the company.
- These grants will be specifically limited to projects that propose to provide a public benefit from the use of the company’s facilities.
- Applicants should not contact Metropolitan Edison directly regarding these projects, but should contact the respective Community Foundation.
- Studies of the implementation of established or developing technologies (i.e. wind studies, methane quality studies) for projects to be situated in the Met Ed region.
- Grants made under this category are limited to $25,000 per applicant.
- It is anticipated that the majority of funds for such studies will come from other sources.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- While the fund is a component fund of Berks County Community Foundation, it is dedicated to serving the entire Met Ed service territory.
- Any organization, governmental entity, individual or corporation may apply for grants under this program.
- Entities that are not exempt from Federal Income Tax under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or are not units of government may apply, but should expect to provide extensive information as to their operations and be subject to significant oversight by the Foundation in the use of the funds.
- The Metropolitan Edison Sustainable Energy Fund favors the use of funds for lending, equity or other forms of investment in projects that meet the funds’ objectives.
- Preference will be given to projects that, if feasible, are likely to be attractive investments from the fund.
About this funder:
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Metropolitan Edison Company Sustainable Energy Fund - Grant Requests by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.