MI Dam Management Grant Program (DMGP)
Michigan Department of Natural ResourcesSuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to US $350,000
Anticipated deadline: Nov 16, 2019 8:59pm PST
Applicant type: Indigenous Group Government Entity Nonprofit College / University
Funding uses: Applied Project / Program
Location of project: Michigan
Location of residency: MichiganView website Save Need help writing this grant?
Dam Management Grant Program (DMGP)
The purpose of the DMGP is to provide funding and technical assistance to local and state units of government, non-profit groups and individuals to manage dam removal, repair and major maintenance projects that will enhance aquatic resources and fishing opportunities along with reducing infrastructure costs and improving public safety in Michigan.
This program is designed to address the Governor’s direction on community infrastructure needs as stated in his 2011 address on this issue. The main objectives of the DMPG are to:
- Enhance aquatic environments and reduce long-term infrastructure costs by removing dams without an economic purpose.
- Repair or facilitate major maintenance work on dams that serve an economic purpose and cause minimal environmental impacts, or present imminent public safety issues. Please note that the purpose of this grant program is to address failing infrastructure needs. It is not intended to fund general maintenance or to correct deficiencies in the design of otherwise structurally sound dams.
Program Objectives and Priorities
The key objectives and priorities addressed by this program are:
- Removal of impairments to watershed processes that include: connectivity; fish and wildlife passage; hydrology; sediment and woody debris transport; water quality; fish community composition and size structure.
- Resolution of public safety concerns.
- Increased public involvement in watershed issues.
- Increased access to aquatic resources.
- Improving quality of life in urban areas.
- High rate of return on dam management investments.
Projects that would be eligible under this program are:
- Removal of dams that have no economic purpose resulting in the enhancement of aquatic environments and the reduction of long term infrastructure costs.
- Repair/major maintenance of dams which have an economic purpose that are an imminent public safety issue and are deemed of unsatisfactory condition by the DEQ Dam Safety Program or are under DEQ order.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Eligible Grant Applicants:
- Any federal, tribal, local and state units of government, nonprofit groups or individuals in Michigan may apply for a Dam Management Grant.
- Matching Funds:
- The applicant must commit to provide at least 10% of the total project cost.
- Eligible costs: Only those costs directly associated with completing the project and incurred during the project period with the exception of engineering, design and design administration costs, are eligible for reimbursement.
- See categories of eligible costs here.
- Projects with scope of work outside the grant focus area are not eligible for Dam Management Grant support.
- Within the focus area, the following types of projects are also not eligible:
- Feasibility or ecological studies.
- Experimental and unproven methods to rehabilitate river channels after dam removals or used in rehabilitating a dam.
- Routine maintenance activities and operational costs.
- Any project where the estimated repair/major maintenance is less than 50% of the estimated cost of replacing the structure.
- Ineligible Costs:
- Costs incurred outside of the project period specified in the project agreement or amendment.
- Salaries/wages not directly related to the project.
- Lodging for compensated workers
- Lodging or mileage for volunteer laborers
- Maintenance and operation
- Conference fees and speaker fees.
- Purchase of equipment (ie: chain saws, atvs, vehicles, heavy equipment, etc.)
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the MI Dam Management Grant Program (DMGP) by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.
Please wait while we load this grant.
Sorry, we're having trouble loading this grant.