Ministry for Primary Industries/NIWA: Postgraduate Scholarships in Quantitative Fisheries Science
National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research
Grant amount: Up to NZ $40,000
Anticipated deadline: Sep 20, 2019 (Pre proposal)
Applicant type: Masters Student
Funding uses: Scholarship, Research
Location of project: New Zealand
Location of residency: New Zealand
Location of citizenship: New ZealandView website Save Need help writing this grant?
In collaboration with NIWA, the Ministry for Primary Industries is offering masters scholarships. The scholarships were established in 2006 to allow graduate students to develop expertise in quantitative fisheries science in New Zealand. The research undertaken will contribute to quantitative fisheries research programmes with particular emphasis on models for assessing the status of fish stocks or models for assessing marine ecosystems. The Ministry for Primary Industries wishes to develop this area of research, as there is a shortage of trained quantitative graduates in New Zealand to undertake research and contribute to the sustainable use of fisheries.
The objectives of the Ministry for Primary Industries Graduate Scholarships in Quantitative Fisheries Science are:
- to attract high performing New Zealand students into quantitative marine science;
- to promote and encourage excellence in quantitative fisheries research;
- to encourage masters students to contribute to priority fisheries research areas identified by the New Zealand Government;
- to provide opportunities for students to carry out research with NIWA and/or MPI scientists in established and new quantitative fisheries research programmes;
- to train students at the masters level by sharing and using the combined expertise of university academics, MPI and practising NIWA scientists; and
- to facilitate the professional development of masters students by exposure to an applied commercial research environment.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Applicants with majors or minors in mathematics, statistics, or biology are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants need to be New Zealand citizens or permanent residents.
- Study must be undertaken within New Zealand(with the possibility of some course work being undertaken through an Australian university).
- You must be eligible to undertake an MSc at any New Zealand university.
- You must undertake full-time study.
- A suitable university supervisor and NIWA or MPI technical advisor must be agreed prior to stage 2 of the application (organising a potential University supervisor is desirable but not necessary for stage 1).
- There are no age restrictions.
- Study must commence within 6 months of receiving this scholarship.
- You may hold other scholarships but these must be disclosed to the Ministry for Primary Industries. Students are encouraged to apply for additional scholarships that cover the payment of fees.
- Preference will be given to those students who have a strong quantitative background (preferably including applied statistics), with marine biology.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Ministry for Primary Industries/NIWA: Postgraduate Scholarships in Quantitative Fisheries Science by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.