MN Specialty Crop Block Grant Program
Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA)
Next predicted deadline: Mar 7, 2024 2:00pm PST (Letter of inquiry)
Later predicted deadlines: Mar 15, 2024 2:00pm PDT (Full proposal)
Grant amount: US $20,000 - US $125,000
Fields of work: Agricultural Crops Horticulture & Gardening
Applicant type: Organizations
Funding uses: Project / Program, Education / Outreach, Research
Location of project: Minnesota
Location of residency: Minnesota
Specialty Crop Block Grant Program
Grants fund projects that will increase the competitiveness of Minnesota grown specialty crops in domestic and foreign markets. The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) defines specialty crops as fruits and vegetables, tree nuts, dried fruits, horticulture and nursery crops, floriculture, and processed products that have 50 percent or more specialty crop content, by weight; exclusive of added water. A comprehensive list of eligible specialty crops is available on the USDA's web site.
Minnesota is seeking projects for our 2023 SCBG that pertain to the following issues affecting the specialty crop industry:
- Improving distribution systems and marketing of specialty crops, such as reducing costs, increasing promotion and awareness, or creating new methods to achieve and sustain profitable businesses.
- Increasing child and adult nutrition knowledge and consumption of specialty crops.
- Researching and developing of techniques that focus on pest or disease control.
- Developing new or improved specialty crop seed or plant varieties.
- Researching and developing techniques to increase sustainable production of specialty crops, including growing season extension, adaption to drought and floods, strengthening seed and crop systems, and increasing soil health.
- Improve capacity of all entities in the specialty crop distribution chain to comply with the requirements of the Food Safety Modernization Act, for example, developing “Good Agricultural Practices,” “Good Handling Practices,” “Good Manufacturing Practices,” and other support for farmers, packers, and processors to enhance food safety.
We've imported the main document for this grant to give you an overview. You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's
- AGRI Agriculture Value-Added Feasibility Study Grant (VAFSG)
- AGRI Beginning Farmer FBM Scholarships
- AGRI Crop Research Grant Program
- Agricultural Chemical Response and Reimbursement Account Grant
- Agricultural Research and Education Council Grant
- AGRI Good Agricultural Practices/Good Handling Practices (GAP/GHP) Certification Cost Share
- AGRI Livestock Investment Grant
- AGRI Meat, Poultry, Egg, and Milk Processing Grant
- AGRI Minnesota Value Added Grant Program
- AGRI Sustainable Agriculture Demonstration Grant Program
- AGRI Urban Agriculture Grant Program
- Emerging Farmer Technical Assistance Grant
- Farm to School First Bite Mini Grant
- Farm to School Full Tray Grant
- Good Food Access Program (GFAP) Equipment and Physical Improvement Grant
- Good Food Access Program Technical Assistance Grant
- Local Food Purchase Assistance Program Grant
- Meat Education and Training Grant
- Noxious Weed and Invasive Plant Grants
- Rollover Protective Structures (ROPS) Rebate
Don’t miss out on other good fit funders!
See even more similar funders by creating a free 14-day account. Get personalized grant recommendations, tracking and more.
“Through Instrumentl, I was able to accomplish in 6 hours...SIX HOURS...what would have taken days or weeks with [another] search engine.”