Nathan Cummings Foundation Fellowship Program
Nathan Cummings Foundation
Grant amount: Up to US $150,000
Anticipated deadline: Oct 1, 2018
Applicant type: Postdoctoral Researcher Faculty Unaffiliated Researcher Working Professional
Funding uses: Conference, Research, Fellowship
Location of project: United States
Location of residency: United StatesView website Save Need help writing this grant?
- Arts and Culture
- Constituency Building
- Disruptive Ideas
- Religious Traditions and Contemplative Practice
- Improve quality of life for the poor;
- Move toward greater equality of opportunity, meaning that where someone is born on the income distribution would not limit their chances to move up; and
- Challenge structures and ideas that allow a vastly disproportionate share of the nation’s wealth to be concentrated in the hands of a few.
- Increasing access to modern energy for the world’s poor; and
- Stabilizing greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere at a low level; and
- Improving resilience for those most vulnerable to the negative consequences of climate variability and change.
- Disruptive Ideas – Asking difficult questions and applying disruptive ideas to challenge, and when appropriate, move beyond conventional thinking and traditional divides;
- Arts and Culture – Illuminating the human condition, nurturing empathy and expanding a vision of what’s possible;
- Constituency Building – Achieving greater influence and leadership for individuals and communities through sustained organizing, coalition building and advocacy; and
- Religious Traditions and Contemplative Practices – Cultivating the power of religious traditions to anchor, connect and inspire us, and contemplative practices to bring awareness, fresh insights and creativity.
The topic of a Fellow's project should support the work of the areas of focus and at least one of the four strategic approaches. The Foundation is also particularly interested in innovative efforts that cut across our issue areas or impact multiple approaches. Successful projects will challenge conventional thinking and present an innovative idea that has the potential to revolutionize the way the foundation approaches social and economic justice
Project Outcomes and Products
While the products may be as diverse as the problems that applicants seek to remedy, the projects should be clear, concrete, actionable and inspiring. The Fellow's work for the year might include the creation of a product such as a book or report, white paper, blog, video, public hearing, presentation, the launch of an initiative, campaign or nonprofit organization, or other creative work product.
Applicants should have a clear idea of the audience they would like to reach and the impact the project will have on the desired community. Projects should be creative and identify activities and communication strategies that will reach the target audiences. Effective projects will include lessons that can be applied to a broad range of settings.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- To be eligible:
- the proposed projects must be innovative, demonstrate exceptional vision, and relate to at least one of the Foundation's two focus areas: ( see Overview)
- Climate Change
- the methodology must be rooted in at least one of the Foundation's approaches:
- Arts and Culture;
- Constituency Building;
- Disruptive Ideas;
- Religious Traditions and Contemplative Practices.
- The NCF Fellowship welcomes a diverse pool of applicants representing practitioners in a variety of fields.
- Preference will be given to proposals that address NCF's DNA commitments.
- The fellowship does not fund enrollment for degree or non-degree study at academic institutions, including dissertation research.
- The fellowship program does not cover the fellows’ health benefits and does not account for taxes owed to the IRS for the grant award, The Nathan Cummings Foundation is a private foundation.
- As a private foundation, NCF cannot support lobbying activities.
- Projects that include lobbying activities will not be funded.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Nathan Cummings Foundation Fellowship Program by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.