Ford Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowships
Grant amount: US $45,000
Next anticipated deadline: Dec 7, 2018 2:00pm PST (Pre proposal)
Later anticipated deadlines: Jan 9, 2019 2:00pm PST (Full proposal)
Applicant type: Postdoctoral Researcher
Funding uses: Fellowship
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: United States
Location of citizenship: United States
Degree requirements: Applicants must be within 7 years of receiving their PhDView website Save Need help writing this grant?
Note: Deadlines are as follows:
- Application: 'pre-proposal' deadline above
- Supplementary Materials: ' full proposal' deadline above
This year the program will award approximately 24 postdoctoral fellowships. The postdoctoral fellowships provide one year of support for individuals engaged in postdoctoral study after the attainment of the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) or Doctor of Science (Sc.D.) degree.
- One-year stipend: $45,000
- Fellowship funds may be disbursed through the employing institution if necessary for the continuation of health insurance or other benefits. No dependency allowance is available.
- Expenses will be paid to attend at least one Conference of Ford Fellows
- Access to Ford Fellow Regional Liaisons, a network of former Ford Fellows who have volunteered to provide mentoring and support to current fellows
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Eligibility to apply for a postdoctoral fellowship is limited to:
- All U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, and U.S. permanent residents (holders of a Permanent Resident Card) of the United States, as well as individuals granted deferred action status under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Program, political asylees, and refugees, regardless of race, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, or sexual orientation,
- Individuals with evidence of superior academic achievement (such as grade point average, class rank, honors or other designations),
- Individuals committed to a career in teaching and research at the college or university level, and
- Individuals awarded a Ph.D. or Sc.D. degree no earlier than December 7, 2010 and no later than December 7, 2017 in an eligible research-based field from a U.S. institution of higher education.
- Eligible Fields of Study
- Awards will be made for study in the following major disciplines and related interdisciplinary fields:
- American studies, anthropology, archaeology, art and theater history, astronomy, chemistry, communications, computer science, cultural studies, earth sciences, economics, education, engineering, ethnic studies, ethnomusicology, geography, history, international relations, language, life sciences, linguistics, literature, mathematics, performance study, philosophy, physics, political science, psychology, religious studies, sociology, urban planning, and women’s studies.
- Also eligible are interdisciplinary ethnic studies programs, such as African American studies and Native American studies, and other interdisciplinary programs, such as area studies, peace studies, and social justice.
- Research-based fields of education are eligible if the major field of study is listed above and is used to describe the Ph.D. or Sc.D. program of the applicant (e.g., sociology of education, anthropology and education).
- The complete list of eligible fields of study supported at the postdoctoral level of the fellowship program is available here: Eligible Fields of Study List.
- The following will be considered as positive factors in choosing successful candidates:
- Evidence of superior academic achievement
- Degree of promise of continuing achievement as scholars and teachers
- Capacity to respond in pedagogically productive ways to the learning needs of students from diverse backgrounds
- Sustained personal engagement with communities that are underrepresented in the academy and an ability to bring this asset to learning, teaching, and scholarship at the college and university level
- Likelihood of using the diversity of human experience as an educational resource in teaching and scholarship
- Membership in one or more of the following groups whose underrepresentation in the American professoriate has been severe and longstanding:
- Alaska Natives (Aleut, Eskimo, or other Indigenous People of Alaska)
- Black/African Americans
- Mexican Americans/Chicanas/Chicanos
- Native American Indians
- Native Pacific Islanders (Polynesian/Micronesian)
- Puerto Ricans
- Applications will be evaluated by panels of distinguished scholars selected by the Academies. The panels will use academic records, essays, letters of recommendation, the application itself, and other appropriate materials as the basis for determining the extent to which candidates meet the eligibility requirements and the selection criteria. The quality of the plan of study or research, the bibliography, the appropriateness of the proposed fellowship activities, the choice of host institution, and the potential for career enhancement will also be carefully reviewed.
- Review panels may also look at additional factors such as the likelihood that the applicant will fully utilize 9 to 12 months of postdoctoral support.
- Individuals enrolled in the following practice-oriented programs will not be supported:
- administration, audiology, business, consumer studies, curriculum development, human resource management, exercise physiology, filmmaking, fine arts, guidance, kinesiology, leadership, library and information science, management, nursing, occupational health, performing arts, personnel, physical education, physical therapy, public health, rehabilitation science, social welfare, social work, speech pathology, and teacher education.
- In addition, awards will not be made in such areas as medicine, law, and public health.
- Interdisciplinary areas of study that have major content in ineligible fields listed above will not be included in the competition.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Ford Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowships by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.