Vertebrate Paleontology Collections Study Grant
Natural History Museum of Los Angeles CountySuggest an update
Grant amount: US $500 - US $1,000
Next deadline: Apr 1, 2019
Later deadlines: Oct 1, 2019
Applicant type: Undergraduate Student Graduate Student
Funding uses: Research
Location of project: California
Location of residency: Anywhere in the worldView website Save Need help writing this grant?
Description of Funding Opportunity
The NHM Vertebrate Paleontology Collections Study Awards were instituted to provide funding for undergraduate and graduate students to visit and study the collections of the Vertebrate Paleontology Department and Dinosaur Institute at both the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, and the La Brea Tar Pits & Museum.
- Individual award amounts can vary, but typically range from $500–
- Applicants wishing to visit collections between July 1 – December 31 must submit their applications by April 1st.
- Applicants wishing to visit collections between January 1 – June 30 must submit their applications by October 1st.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Open to all undergraduate and graduate students that are currently enrolled in an accredited degree-granting program.
- International researchers are welcome to apply, but should contact museum curators if assistance is required to obtain a letter of invitation that could be used in a visa application.
- Any proposed research that involves digitization, molding & casting, and/or destructive sampling of NHM specimens, must meet the appropriate department's collections use criteria, and also be approved by the appropriate curator and collections manager.
- Projects can be any duration, but researchers planning collections visits over two weeks should contact an NHM or La Brea Tar Pits & Museum curator to arrange logistics regarding the use of museum facilities.
- Awards are made in either partial or full support of travel, lodging, and incidental costs while visiting the NHM collections.
- Reimbursement for housing is limited to $150 per day.
- Preference will be given to proposals that:
- demonstrate a critical role of NHM collections in the proposed research; and
- enhance the NHM collections (through identification, curation, digitization, databasing, generation of new data, etc.
- Researchers that are within daily commuting distance of the NHM and La Brea Tar Pits & Museum are not eligible for this award.
- Researchers that have had proposals rejected are encouraged to resubmit, but an individual cannot receive more than one award within a three-year timeframe.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Vertebrate Paleontology Collections Study Grant by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.