New Balance Foundation Grant
New Balance FoundationSuggest an update
Grant amount: Unspecified amount
Next anticipated deadline: Jan 22, 2020
Later anticipated deadlines: Feb 1, 2020 (Pre proposal)
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, Applied Project / Program
Location of project: Counties in Maine: Oxford County, Somerset County, Counties in Massachusetts: Essex County, Suffolk County
Location of residency: Counties in Maine: Oxford County, Somerset County, Counties in Massachusetts: Essex County, Suffolk CountyView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
- Organizations that received a grant in 2018 and wish to receive a grant in 2019: Renewals will be due January 22, 2019.
- New Grant Seekers / Organizations that did not receive a grant in 2018: Concept papers are due February 1, 2019. ("pre-proposal deadline")
The Foundation | Mission
The Foundation's mission is to support charitable organizations whose humanitarian efforts work for the betterment of our children and communities with a principal focus on promoting healthy lifestyles while working towards the prevention of childhood obesity. In service of this mission, the Foundation is committed to supporting grassroots children's initiatives in the communities in which New Balance operates facilities.
The New Balance Foundation focuses its grant making on programmatic and geographic areas we consider relevant to our business mission and community at large. We believe this strategic concentration allows us to achieve the greatest impact with our operating budget. To better understand our focus, we've described the areas and initiatives we support in some detail.
Our core focus is the prevention of childhood obesity, an important endeavour we believe will significantly contribute to the overall health and well being of our communities. At the same time, we recognize the additional needs of our local communities and strategically contribute to other program areas primarily targeting underserved youth. Our secondary program areas include Education & Athletics, Health & Human Services, Arts & Culture and Environment. The Foundation also responds to Disaster Relief around the globe as needed.
The Foundation supports organizations that go beyond messaging alone and instead utilize nutrition education and physical activities to change children's behavior.
Obesity in children and adolescents is a serious issue with profound health and social consequences that cannot be left unchecked. Implementing intervention and prevention programs and gaining a better understanding of treatment for youngsters is key to controlling and reversing the obesity epidemic.
The Foundation seeks to address this epidemic using a holistic approach that engages children and those who impact their lives, including caregivers, educators, medical professionals, after-school providers and the community as a whole.
The Foundation has partnered with university, medical and community-based organizations that are addressing childhood obesity from a nutrition, fitness and educational perspective—all with appreciable, quantifiable results.
While the prevention of childhood obesity is the main focus for the foreseeable future, the Foundation will continue to fund programming that supports community needs and issues as outlined below:
Health & Human Services
Our commitment to the overall health and well being of our communities is our primary focus. Health and Human service agencies provide support to both our associates and customers and we feel it is essential that we recognize their value. In some of the geographic areas where the Foundation focuses its efforts, there is only one hospital or afterschool provider. This reality underscores the vital importance of our commitment to health care and human service programs in these communities. Moreover, we support programs that assist individuals and families who would otherwise be unable to afford care.
Education & Athletics
The Foundation believes in promoting learning and physical fitness beyond the traditional classroom and gymnasium. We take an interest in academic and fitness programs that encourage learning, integrate curricula and recognize fitness as a fundamental link in a balanced, healthy lifestyle. We especially seek to support innovative programs that provide opportunities to children who most need it.
Arts & Culture
We at the New Balance Foundation believe in the lifetime benefits of balanced learning which challenges the mind as well as the body. Supporting cultural programs that reach out to under-served communities and blend fun with related educational programming, offers opportunity where it might otherwise be unavailable.
Programs that improve the overall quality of life and provide innovative and sustainable solutions to key community issues involving the environment are of interest to the New Balance Foundation. It is our hope that future generations will be better prepared to sustain the needs of the global community in which we all live. And breathe.
Geographic areas of focus have been identified by the Foundation in order to achieve greatest impact in our grant making. As we've stated elsewhere, we look to partner with nonprofit organizations in the communities in which we operate facilities. The corporation has prospered from its operations in New England and the Foundation is able to express its appreciation by being active in the local communities on which we depend:
- Boston and Lawrence, Massachusetts
- Norridgewock, Skowhegan and Norway, Maine
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- New Balance Foundation charitable giving is limited to 501 (C)(3) non-profit organizations.
- Consideration is given to organizations and pursuits which complement the funding priority areas outlined in the Grant Focus section and meet the following criteria:
- Proposals must address one or more of our focus program areas.
- Proposal must serve one or more of our 5 communities.
- Each organization is limited to one donation request per year.
- Petitioning organizations should have proven continuity; effective leadership and administration; demonstrated fund-raising ability; proven collaborative relationships and active, diverse boards.
- Proposals must follow our detailed Application Process.
- In general, we support specific programs rather than contribute to overall operating expenses.
- Priority is given to outcomes driven programs that drive healthy lifestyles through physical activity and nutrition.
- Funding is not considered for the following:
- Political parties
- Individual pursuits
- Capital campaigns
- Fundraising dinners & galas
- Team sponsorships or sporting events
- Film or television underwriting
- Organizations that discriminate based on race, creed, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion or national origin.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the New Balance Foundation Grant by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.