New England Grassroots Environment Fund: SEED Grant
New England Grassroots Environment Fund
Grant amount: US $250 - US $1,000
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, Applied Project / Program
Location of project: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont Expand all
Location of residency: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont Expand allView website Save Need help writing this grant?
Seed grants are geared to groups launching new projects and/or evolving the scale of an existing project. Grants are intended to support community groups who represent the most exciting energy in the environmental movement that are not being reached by traditional funders. The Fund interprets the word ‘environment’ broadly and will provide funding for a wide range of activities. Whole systems-thinking is critical to initiatives focused on making our environment better, healthier and more sustainable.
Examples of Seed grant projects:
- a community garden requesting funds for compost and materials to build raised beds in the garden;
- a local energy committee seeking support for outreach materials to launch their new campaign;
- a sustainability group applying to expand their Study Circle offerings at the local library
The overall goals of the Seed grant program are to:
- Increase civic engagement, volunteerism, emerging leaders and community initiatives that create healthy, just, safe and environmentally sustainable communities at the neighborhood and town level in New England;
- Help community leaders move single issue, backyard debates to positive, inclusive, systemic, constructive, and lasting community solutions;
- Link community-based advocacy with the work of state-wide and national organizations without losing local identity; and
- Establish and maintain informed networks of activists across the region that are committed to building a just and equitable society.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Apply for a Seed grant if your group:
- is launching a new or recently evolving community-based project;
- expenses are for materials, outreach and/or other project expenses;
- project costs are generally less than $10,000;
- needs a quick decision;
- submitted its last successful Seed application no less than 1 year ago.
- Group Eligibility Criteria:
- is doing community-based environmental work in CT, ME, MA, NH, RI or VT;
- is volunteer-driven or has no more than 2 full-time paid staff (or equivalents);
- has an annual
operating budget under $100,000
- The Grassroots Fund does not fund the following projects:
- Lobbying or partisan political activities
- Acquisition of land and/or buildings
- Studies with no follow-up action
- Publication of books or reports
- Micro- or mini-grant programs
About this funder:
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the New England Grassroots Environment Fund: SEED Grant by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.