NSVF: Innovative Schools
NewSchools Venture FundSuggest an update
Predicted deadline: Feb 5, 2022 11:00am PST
Grant amount: US $50,000 - US $200,000
Fields of work: Education - K through 12
Applicant type: Public Elementary / Secondary School, School District
Funding uses: Project / Program, General Operating Expense
Location of project: United States
Location of residency: United StatesView website Save
About this funder:
Innovative Schools - Create a New School!
We are looking for educators who are designing new, innovative public schools launching in fall 2022. Through this annual funding opportunity, we help early-stage charter organizations launch their first and/or second school in a new network, and support new district schools with the autonomy to develop and implement innovative instructional designs. While the ideas we support will involve varying approaches, all the schools in our portfolio are committed to three design principles: an expanded definition of student success, equity and innovation. In addition, these teams aspire to serve many more students by growing their innovative school networks or expanding their impact through some other means.
What We Offer
Our goal is to accelerate a team’s progress towards designing and opening an innovative school by providing assistance in three key areas:
- Financial support: We provide a one-year grant of $215,000 to support a team’s planning year (12-14 months prior to opening a new school). Each team is also eligible to receive additional funding to support the school’s first three years of operation.
- Community of Practice: Teams participate in an active community of practice to build relationships with and learn from peer organizations from across the country.
- Management assistance: We provide teams with relevant, timely and differentiated support. This includes access to experts in the field, coaching, and resources to meet teams where they are.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Who We’re Looking For
- To be considered for an investment, applicants must:
- Plan to open a new, innovative public school in fall 2022, including:
- New district schools
- The first or second school of an emerging public charter school network
- A new school with a different model in an existing network
- Enroll students within the PK-12 grade span on a full-time basis
- Be eligible to receive public funding
- This year, we are particularly interested in the following:
- School districts: Twenty percent of the schools we funded last year were autonomous district schools. We believe that school districts can create new learning environments that lead to academic and social-emotional success for all students, especially low-income students and students of color. We seek to increase the number of district schools in our portfolio.
- Latino leaders: Currently, only eight percent of our school founders identify as Latino, yet 26% of public students do. We need to tap into the entrepreneurial energy within the Latino community to fund relevant and effective school designs that meet the needs of all students.
- New models that emphasize multiple pathways: We are particularly interested in new models that guide students through the transition from high school to employment and continued learning. We are committed to supporting schools that share this vision.
- For-profit charter schools are not eligible.
- Private or independent schools are not eligible.
- New programs or initiatives within an existing school are not eligible.
- Existing district or charter schools are not eligible for this opportunity except in the case of a “restart.”
- There must be a change in governance that gives a new operator full autonomy over every aspect of the existing school.