Newton Mobility Grants
The Newton Fund
Grant amount: Up to £10,000
Anticipated deadline: Mar 14, 2019
Applicant type: Faculty Research Scientist
Funding uses: Research
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: Brazil, Malaysia, Mexico, South Africa, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom, Vietnam Expand allView website Save Need help writing this grant?
Newton Mobility Grants provide support for international researchers based in a country covered by the Newton Fund to establish and develop collaboration with UK researchers around a specific jointly defined research project.
These one-year awards are particularly suited to initiate new collaborative partnerships, between scholars who have not previously worked together, or new initiatives between scholars who have collaborated in the past.
The grants intend to strengthen the research capacity/capability of, and contribute to promoting economic development and social welfare in, the overseas country. The awards will also initiate the development of longer-term links between the overseas and UK researchers.
Awards might include a range of related activities, but mobility (in the form of visits and exchanges, etc.) should form an integral part of proposals. The main purpose of the funding is to cover travel and maintenance costs, although costs related to other eligible activities will be considered. Partnerships including a training element and involving scholars in the early stages in their career will be looked on favourably.
It is expected that the mobility grants will establish links between partners. Researchers may subsequently wish to consider applying for other Newton Fund programmes.
The aim of the Newton Mobility Grants is to:
- Strengthen research capacity of the partner countries - by facilitating training and skill transfer from the UK to partner countries.
- Support excellent research - by linking the best researchers in the UK with the best researchers in partner countries and providing support for collaborative research.
- Establish long term research links - between both partners to ensure sustainable research capacity in partner countries and benefit to the UK research community in the longer term.
Read the full scheme notes for each country here:
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Both a UK-based applicant and an overseas-based applicant are required for this scheme.
- Both applicants must have a PhD or equivalent research experience and hold a permanent or fixed-term contract in an eligible university or research institute, which must span the duration of the project.
- Collaborations should focus on a single jointly defined research project involving (or lead by) the two applicants.
- The British Academy Newton Mobility Grants cover researchers working in all disciplines within the social sciences and humanities.
- Newton Mobility Grants from the British Academy are currently available for the following countries:
- South Africa
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Newton Mobility Grants by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.